lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default One battery has high voltage

I bought a 1999 Txt today and the batteries are about 6 months old. I brought it home and hooked up the charger. After about an hour of charging I noticed that one of the batteries was gassing like crazy and the rest were not. So, I got my MM and checked the voltage on each battery. All the batteries showed 6.9 volts except the one that was gassing so much.. .it showed 8.6 volts. Is that a problem?
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: One battery has high voltage

Not sure exactly what is going on, but probably the first thing you need to do is let the pack rest 12 hrs, then record individual battery voltages, using a DMM, after resting (noting which one was the high one). This will show the "state of charge" for all batteries. Post the results here for more help. Also letting us know what charger you have and what brand the batteries are may help. If you have battery date codes let us know what they are. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

I could not find a date code but they are Interstate and he said they were put on in the Fall of 2011. The charger is still running (about 5 hours now) and the amp draw is down to about 8. The other batteries seem to be gassing about as much as the "hot" one now but I did not take another voltage reading. I will check the pack voltage tomorrow and see how it looks then. Thanks for the reply. Oh, its a powerwise charger.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Be sure to check and adjust the water levels AFTER a completed charge cycle. Are there any 12v circuits coming off the battery pack for lights or stereos?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

hey,… That's a good reading for an 8 vote battery. Go take a second look at that battery see how many water fill holes it has. If it's an 8 volt, well it wouldn't be the first time.
I've found 6 V batteries and 48 volt packs and vice versa.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Great point from scottyb!! In fact, I,ve actually seen a case where a cart owner has substituted two 8 v. for two 6 volt batteries in order to "bump" up their voltage a bit, never thinking about what happens when it comes time to charge batteries - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
hey,… That's a good reading for an 8 vote battery. Go take a second look at that battery see how many water fill holes it has. If it's an 8 volt, well it wouldn't be the first time.
I've found 6 V batteries and 48 volt packs and vice versa.
That was my first thought but it's a 6 volt battery.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, I checked on the cart this morning and the charger had completed and turned off. All the batteries measured exactly the same @ 6.55 volts and the pack voltage was @ 39.36 volts. So, I guess everything is ok. Not sure why that battery was showing such high voltage yesterday but it has equalized with the rest now. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowslayer View Post
Ok, I checked on the cart this morning and the charger had completed and turned off. All the batteries measured exactly the same @ 6.55 volts and the pack voltage was @ 39.36 volts. So, I guess everything is ok. Not sure why that battery was showing such high voltage yesterday but it has equalized with the rest now. Thanks for all the replies.
If you measured your voltages with the charger on, a weak battery could show an increased voltage. It won't be drawing the current the other batteries are, so you would see an increased voltage until it charged enough to equal the charge rate of the others. I'd just keep an eye on that one and see if it loses it's charge faster than the others. Here's a chart to go by:
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

That makes sense. The charger was running when I checked it the first time. I'll keep an eye on that battery. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO