lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
SHADAMS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New member, dads old txt cart

1998 EZGO TXT 36V. BEEN SITTING FOR 5 PLUS YEARS. WAS TOLD FAMILY MEMBER TRIED TO PULL TREE OUT WITH IT AND BURNED IT UP.

From what i was told they replaced controller and still wouldnt run, gave up. I got it for free and its in good shape so worth me throwing some money at it. Based on the ID thread, its a dcs set up, has the controller with 9 pins and two seperate terminals, then three big terminals. Going to take it to a shop up the road to test the controller. From there, going to get new batts (****, expensive these days). I think the rest is easily testable if im not mistaken.

I pulled the harness as its been hacked on, how likely is it that switches etc are damaged from said event? i see they are too pricey individually, and id love to have everything electrical new as to eliminate chasing issues, but the budget really dictates that I guess.

Has a small lift, knobby 22's, grill guard, back flip seat so itll work good around the neighborhood.

I noticed on the motor it says "fleet speed" (was a retired golf course cart originally). Im not sure what that means other than maybe slow? I'll have more questions but so far looks like quite a bit of info on the site, any thing you can offer would be appreciated.
SHADAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New member, dads old txt cart

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Welcome!
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADAMS View Post
1998 EZGO TXT 36V. BEEN SITTING FOR 5 PLUS YEARS. WAS TOLD FAMILY MEMBER TRIED TO PULL TREE OUT WITH IT AND BURNED IT UP.

[...]

I pulled the harness as its been hacked on, how likely is it that switches etc are damaged from said event?
They probably stalled the motor and kept the pedal down until all the magic smoke came out of something. So it should be on the high current side, the low current (smaller wires and switches) should be ok. The high current side (motor, controller, big cables and solenoid) would be what I would look at to find the problem.

I would test the motor. If you go here (https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/) and scroll down 7/8ths of the way it show you how to easily test the motor.

If the motor is bad you can take the motor to any decent motor/alternator rebuild place they can refurb it or you can send it off to get rebuilt by a business that specializes in golf cart motor rebuilds (like Plum Quick).
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
SHADAMS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
They probably stalled the motor and kept the pedal down until all the magic smoke came out of something. So it should be on the high current side, the low current (smaller wires and switches) should be ok. The high current side (motor, controller, big cables and solenoid) would be what I would look at to find the problem.

I would test the motor. If you go here and scroll down 7/8ths of the way it show you how to easily test the motor.

If the motor is bad you can take the motor to any decent motor/alternator rebuild place they can refurb it or you can send it off to get rebuilt by a business that specializes in golf cart motor rebuilds (like Plum Quick).
Thanks for the info, I dropped the controller off at a shop down the street for testing, the other stuff Ill look at those links. If the controller is bad, Im considering a package deal I found off a link someone posted in the stickies, controller, motor, solenoid, wiring kit etc. Looking it over, it needs some work, but nothing major, leaf spring bushings, shocks, and tie rod ends. So far...
Old 08-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You're welcome.

Grease the front end too. It's probably never been greased since it was first manufactured. It can make a huge difference in handling.

Check the curve of your leaf springs too. The effort required to replace the leaf springs is only a smidge more than the effort required to replace the bushings.

Good luck on the controller and other component testing.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
SHADAMS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright, so Ive got the cart pretty much back together minus electrics. I have a blank canvas and am trying to understand a few things.

so in looking through everything I have its pretty basic. Batteries, controller, solenoid, wire harness, forward/reverse assembly, ignition switch, charging port and motor. I have all the components still but it wasnt running and have not yet attempted to diag why. Wondering if I have to buy a controller anyway, can I upgrade to a controller for a different cart that has, for example, the f/r switch on dash, rather than that big lever. Is there a reason/benefit to that style setup versus the switch?

Its mind boggling to try and organize this to the best cost/benefit ratio, and am reading as much as I can, but what would you guys do in my spot?

I still have a ton of stuff to round up, canvas extended roof, sound system, some trim pieces etc and am rebuilding flip seat and recovering bottoms, Windshield and on and on, but want to start thinking/budgeting for electrics.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #9
SHADAMS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Some pics, I should mention, old tires were 22x11-8 with all stock components, new are 23x10-14.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210821_144656.jpg (178.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210821_195547.jpg (237.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210822_175136.jpg (180.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211026_233128.jpg (284.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211026_233102.jpg (204.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #10
SHADAMS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

BTW, looks like grill guard is for the TXT model with headlights in the cowl. Picking up a led oem light bar that mounts below emblem, then was thinking about some cube lights to mount inside guard hoops, angled outward for better night visibilty. Had guard and rear foot rest line-x just because it looks great.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO