lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
golfboy64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Post end of battery life behavior

my 2014 rxv batteries are 4 years old and I am wondering how much longer they might go? I have 4 12v trojan T1275. On the state of charge meter (looks like a gas guage , the std Ezego guage ) . The dial drops to half then almost to E after I accelerate to full speed. I have checked the bank voltage after charging and it is 51+ volts, actually about 54 right after i disconnect the charger but the next day it is at the 51 v level, While driving it drops down to 38 while acelaerating and then about 43/44 at a cruise speed. when i get home and shut off the bank volts recover to at least 50. my trips are relatively short 1 or 2 at most ... althought the other night coming home the guage was all the way down and a yellow light came on. Unfortunely I didn't check the voltage when I got home.

ps i have checked each battery individually and they all seem pretyy close , both after charging and after running
golfboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: end of battery life behavior

Cart batteries lose storage capacity as they age and the symptoms you describe indicate low storage capacity.

Not sure where Chandler is in AZ, but here as map showing typical battery life expediencies by region.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery life Expectancy Zones.jpg (162.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Four years is typical life for FLA batteries so you are probably due for new ones. In my experience, 4 x 12V don't last as long as 6 x 8V battery configurations.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

my Deka GC8V 8-VOLT Batterers are almost 3 years old and have seem to lost their reserve capacity what is best battery without going to lithium ion?
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfboy64 View Post
While driving it drops down to 38 while acelaerating and then about 43/44 at a cruise speed.

ps i have checked each battery individually and they all seem pretyy close , both after charging and after running
That seems to be a fairly large voltage drop ... it is possible that you might have a weak battery in your pack.

It may be worth checking the voltage of each individual battery when under load (accelerating). If any battery has an excessive voltage drop when under load, it may be worth replacing that single battery with a "good" used one.

When my last battery pack was getting near the "end of life", I replaced the one failed battery (with a good used one) and got another year out of the pack. After that year, I had another battery fail and decided to replace the pack.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
golfboy64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hey I checked my old batteries under load and got the following:
bat 1 no load 12.7 load 10.
bat 2 no load 12.7 load 9.9
bat 3 no load 12.6 load 9.0
bat 4 no load 12.6 load 9.85

so batttery 3 is a stand out but how much improvement do you think I would see if i replaced?
Old 10-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not a very good idea to replace one battery unless they are all fairly new and one gets damaged somehow. If they are four years old, they are all near end of life. Run them like they are or replace all of them is my advice.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfboy64 View Post
hey I checked my old batteries under load and got the following:
bat 1 no load 12.7 load 10.
bat 2 no load 12.7 load 9.9
bat 3 no load 12.6 load 9.0
bat 4 no load 12.6 load 9.85

so batttery 3 is a stand out but how much improvement do you think I would see if i replaced?
All your batteries are within about 10% of each other under load ... so there is no smoking gun there. Volt_Ampere's recommendation to "run them like they are or replace all of them" sounds valid.

If you would have seen one battery much worse than the others (e.g. 10.75, 10.75, 5.75 and 10.75 volts under load = 38 volts total), then replacing the lowest battery would have made sense if you wanted an economical solution that might get your another year out of the pack.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
golfboy64
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks everyone for the consultation on my old batteries now all i have to do is decide on lithium conversion,( which brand?) finding some lead acid batteries ( the local ezgo dealer here has me 133 on a waiting list for trojans) or buying new lithium cart which isn't avaialble till end of year
Old 10-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Try some back-to-back charges on the existing batteries. Might help them some.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO