lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

Unhappy Precedent Runs with Key off and Tow/Run in Tow Mode

Totally stumped... I had a customer bring a 2009 CC Prec in today because the cart will run with the key in the off position. I put the cart in tow mode and it will still run. I removed the wires from the back of the tow/run switch and then turned the key to off and it will not run. Replaced solenoid and controller and it will still run if I connect the tow/run and put it in tow mode. Currently the tow/run switch is disconnected and the key switch functions correctly but the cart is slooowww?

Any ideas???
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Runs with Key off and Tow/Run in Tow Mode

The OBC has connections in both sides of the run/tow switch, and it also plays a role in the regen break... I guess a defective unit could both bypass the run/tow switch and slow the motor???
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
goatropinredneck1
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever figure out this problem because I am experiencing the same issues.
goatropinredneck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Lawdg
Not Yet Wild

ok.. let me start by saying i am completely new to this; however, i have a good working knowledge on 12v. MY 2014 precedent is doing the same thing. runs with no key in run mode. acts normal in tow mode (buzzer on reverse, key works etc.) Where should i start to figure this out. I have the cart tore apart now for painting, etc.
Lawdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
Lawdg
Not Yet Wild

i have read other threads on this and seen multiple different answers.. I don't want to start buying and replacing parts that are not needed. i appreciate any help please.
Lawdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Did this problem start suddenly or after you made a change to the cart? For example, installed a new power converter/reducer or battery monitor? You said you have a good working knowledge of 12V. I’m not sure what you mean by that.

A stuck solenoid is a common reason a cart will run without the key turned on.

If it were my cart I’d start with the basics first - Check the wiring. Any loose connections? Then, take each wire, disconnect it and wiggle the connector to see if it’s loose or broken. Clean up any corrosion. You can’t tell anything by simply looking at the wires (unless it’s something grossly obvious).

Start at the solenoid small wires, then check the F/R wires, then the wires to key switch.

BEFORE CHECKING THE WIRING, be sure you cart is in TOW and the battery pack negative AND positive are disconnected.

If all the wires and connections are good you can move on to checking the voltage on the wires. I’ll let someone else chime in on the procedure.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Been a while since I’ve seen this issue come up, but there was some goofiness in the wiring on the precedents that would allow the cart to run with the key off if there were any wires for accessories connected to any of the middle batteries in the pack. If you have any accessories connected to the pack they have to be connected to the main positive only and main negative only or else the harness can have a backfeed that keeps the power On to the controller and it will run even with the key completely out. Make sure there are NO accessory wires connected to the battery pack. If there are, disconnect them and see if the cart still behaves the same way.
The best way to power accessories is to use a 48v to 12v reducer.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car