lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #21
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: pack voltage on all solenold post

ScottyB and Scooterma ......

Scotty, in doing your test, both small post show positive and when I switch probes they both show negative..

Scooterman....Im tying to figure out which small post should have the volts going to it...Right now both have 49+ voltage with key on. N O voltage with key off. Pushing the peddle has no affect. So, Im still not sure which wire to use to jump to see if cart will move...

The solenoid of course is in the back..Looking at it from the back the left small post has a blue with white strip wire going to the 16 pin connector at the controller. The right small post has a blue wire going up front and connects to wires going to F/R switch and the mcor.

With that said, how and what do I test....

Also, one other question...The negative pack wire goes to the obc then on to the controller. At that point there is a leg coming off the controller going to what looks like just a block attached to a metal plate. Is that a ground. Should I be getting an ohms reading from the plate its attached to go any negative battery cable or PN. Im not getting a reading from pack negative to the plate, get one to the block but not the plate..Is that a bad ground.
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Electric golf carts do not use a frame ground. You might be looking at a voltage reducer, Can you post a pic?

Also your test on the solenoid small post really don't make sense. How can a wire test (+) and then (-)?
Maybe it's time to put a new battery in your test meter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #23
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

ScottyB...I agree with you on both...lol.....Im posting two pictures, one is a close up and one a little farther away. I didn't think golf carts were grounded either, but it sure looks like a ground to me..You can see where it comes out of the controller where the pack negative is hook to and goes to that block that is bolted to the frame. No other wires in or out of the block.

Now, testing the two small post. I think I did it correct. I put the black lead from my tester on the pack negative terminal. The red lead to each small post and it reads 49.6 on each post. I then took the red lead from tester and put it on the pack negative post and the black lead to both small post. both small post read -49.6 Is that the correct way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (298.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (401.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Even though that block is connected to the frame doesn't mean it is connected to the frame, it may just be a point used for making connections. Do a conductive test from that post to the frame to see if it conducts or not.

If what you're saying on the test of the two small wires is true then something is wrong. I would remove the small wires to the solenoid and do a test. Careful when testing not to accidentally short something out.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

OK Scott....this is what I have...keep in mind with all post connected I have 49.6 volts on all 4 post. With the two small post disconnected I have 49.6 volts on the positive battery side of the solenoid. There is no voltage on the other large post. Both small post have 6.3 volts. Checking the two small post wires, I have 49.6 on the solid blue and 1.3 on the blue with white strip. I did figure out the blue wire is the one that goes to the key switch. With key on, 49.6 volts, with key off there is no voltage.

There is NO continuity from the block to the frame where it is bolted.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #26
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the Blue wire, when you test it is it 49.6 (+)? If your sure then reconnect it and turn key off. From the battery pack negative, jump to the other small terminal, leave the striped wire off. Make sure nothing can short out, then turn key switch on, it should Click!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Scotty, I did the test and the solenoid does click...I tried it several times...

Now, what does that mean and what do I do next
Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #28
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you test the big contacts when it clicks to see if it closes? The blue/w stripe goes to the controller, check all connections.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #29
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Scott...this is what I have....With jumper from PN to small post with blue/white strip (with wire off) Solenoid has ohms and 49.6 volts on both large post. No volts on two small post. No volts on unhooked blue/white strip wire going to controller.....With key switch on...Solenoid clicks..Still have 49.6 on both large post also ohms. 48+ on small post with that goes to key switch and 0 volts on small post with jumper. 19.3 volts on unhooked blue/white wire going to controller

Do we know anything yet....

Bill
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #30
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

From what you are saying it sounds like the solenoid is energizing but it is not conducting because the contacts are burnt. To verify solenoid is bad here is what you can do. Get the rear wheels off the ground up on jack stands is preferred. Using a battery jumper cable connect the two large posts on the solenoid together. Try running it. Caution don't over rev it. If the wheels turn and everything seems to work ok you have a bad solenoid. Replace it. Do not leave it jumped out. This is a safety relay intended to prevent a runaway cart.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car