lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #241
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: OBC Bypassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Want to be sure we are on the same page....
I believe the wire that normally goes from the Solenoid to the OBC will now go to the Controller? Does that make any sense?
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #242
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
I believe the wire that normally goes from the Solenoid to the OBC will now go to the Controller? Does that make any sense?
Yes, there is a Yellow wire that ran from the OBC over to the Neg activation side of your solenoid's small post. You can cut that away from the OBC and run it to B- at your controller.

Just remember you will no longer have any deactivation circuit in regards to when your cart is charging. So to prevent someone from accidentally driving off while the cart is plugged in just be sure to run the AC cord for your new charger through the steering wheel while it is on the charger.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #243
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yes, there is a Yellow wire that ran from the OBC over to the Neg activation side of your solenoid's small post. You can cut that away from the OBC and run it to B- at your controller.

Just remember you will no longer have any deactivation circuit in regards to when your cart is charging. So to prevent someone from accidentally driving off while the cart is plugged in just be sure to run the AC cord for your new charger through the steering wheel while it is on the charger.
Thanks. And that is a good idea about the cord through the steering wheel. Although, I am the ONLY operator of my old rat rod. I have already been alternating using my battery maintainer on the Trojans. I haven't been using mine as much as my wife uses her golf cart, so I have had mine on the maintainer until now. Now, I have swapped batteries with my wife because hers have about given up their ghosts. When I remove them from the cart, I am going to see if I can possibly rejuvenate a couple of them enough to use as spares for her cart until I find out if this lithium idea is going to pan out in my cart.

So, in order to remove my plug receptacle and OBC, I will run the cable that normally goes THROUGH the OBC from the battery directly to the controller, just bypassing the OBC. I will then run the wire that normally goes from the solenoid to the OBC and then to the controller, directly to the controller bypassing the OBC. Do I need to worry about any other wiring going to the OBC, or can they just be cut? Sorry, just want to confirm before cutting. You know what they say about measuring twice before cutting, in carpentry.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #244
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Thanks. And that is a good idea about the cord through the steering wheel. Although, I am the ONLY operator of my old rat rod. I have already been alternating using my battery maintainer on the Trojans. I haven't been using mine as much as my wife uses her golf cart, so I have had mine on the maintainer until now. Now, I have swapped batteries with my wife because hers have about given up their ghosts. When I remove them from the cart, I am going to see if I can possibly rejuvenate a couple of them enough to use as spares for her cart until I find out if this lithium idea is going to pan out in my cart.

So, in order to remove my plug receptacle and OBC, I will run the cable that normally goes THROUGH the OBC from the battery directly to the controller, just bypassing the OBC. I will then run the wire that normally goes from the solenoid to the OBC and then to the controller, directly to the controller bypassing the OBC. Do I need to worry about any other wiring going to the OBC, or can they just be cut? Sorry, just want to confirm before cutting. You know what they say about measuring twice before cutting, in carpentry.
If you are just bypassing to remove it from the circuit that will do it. If you are physically going to remove it, we have to do a couple more things on that style cart. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBC.jpg (69.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #245
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
If you are just bypassing to remove it from the circuit that will do it. If you are physically going to remove it, we have to do a couple more things on that style cart. See below.
So, other than the yellow wire bypassing the OBC and going from the solenoid to the controller, and the black negative wire going through the OBC from the battery to the controller, the remaining wires will have to be disconnected from the solenoid? Will that finish the process for removal or are any of those wires critical and have to be rerouted? Sorry for my confusion. Once I get it, it usually sticks with me, but first I have to get it. Thanks for your patience.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #246
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The Black and the Grey will go away with the OBC and charge receptacle. The Brown should be cut off and taped as far up the harness as you can. The Red will be disconnected from the solenoid large post. The Yellow cut at the OBC and ran over to B-. The Black 10g (small) wire should be cut away at the OBC and used to connect your new charger or any other source that needs B- to keep from terminating them at the battery. The large Black cable removed from the Hall sensor of the OBC and connected back to B-.

Now you can remove the OBC from the cart.

After that,
Old 05-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #247
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The Black and the Grey will go away with the OBC and charge receptacle. The Brown should be cut off and taped as far up the harness as you can. The Red will be disconnected from the solenoid large post. The Yellow cut at the OBC and ran over to B-. The Black 10g (small) wire should be cut away at the OBC and used to connect your new charger or any other source that needs B- to keep from terminating them at the battery. The large Black cable removed from the Hall sensor of the OBC and connected back to B-.

Now you can remove the OBC from the cart.

After that,
Thank you. That is clear as glass. The charger that I am getting is supposed to be smart enough to shut itself off after reaching voltage. Guess I will find out. Hopefully, the BMS will also make it safe(r).
Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #248
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: OBC Bypass ~ Technnical Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
you need to test the OBC first

do not use the blue and white wire by pass they are for when you have a DPI charger only
So, if we are still using the powerdrive charger...don't do the blue/white connection?

Will this still give my batteries a "deep" charge, or only a surface charge as I believe I have read somewhere in here..

getting lost in the multitude of things I have read..lol
48v regen2 cart A0039

Last edited by Clarkwho; 05-21-2019 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: adding cart type
Clarkwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #249
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

To continue your Powerdrive, both the Black 10g wire and the Grey sense wire from the back of the charge receptacle will need to be ran to the Main Pack Negative post. And yes, this is only a temporary method to run your charger when the OBC has failed and it will only surface charge that pack. Run it until you see the amp meter get down to ~5 amps or so and them check the pack voltage while it is still charging. Once you see 61-63 volts, you can turn it off.

You will need to replace the OBC or purchase a good smart charger.

As long as you do not unplug the OBC harness, the blue and white wires should not require jumpering. If/when you remove the OBC, you will need to jumper them to prevent the lockout circuit at the controller.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #250
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
To continue your Powerdrive, both the Black 10g wire and the Grey sense wire from the back of the charge receptacle will need to be ran to the Main Pack Negative post.
Both? I only have the grey sense wire hooked to neg. pack and it seems to be taking a charge -albeit quite slow? Diagram only shows one being jumped? I must have missed this step, but it makes sense..

Quote:
And yes, this is only a temporary method to run your charger when the OBC has failed and it will only surface charge that pack. Run it until you see the amp meter get down to ~5 amps or so and them check the pack voltage while it is still charging. Once you see 61-63 volts, you can turn it off.

You will need to replace the OBC or purchase a good smart charger.

As long as you do not unplug the OBC harness, the blue and white wires should not require jumpering. If/when you remove the OBC, you will need to jumper them to prevent the lockout circuit at the controller.
So this would be on the controller side of the 6 pin plug, not the obc side of the plug as it will be gone?
And when I get the Alltrax, that won't be an issue either if I understand correctly?

ok, perfect, thank you.. so yeah, it's either an OBC replacement or the Charger.. Just when I wanted to buy the alltrax instead...lol baby steps I guess. :)
Clarkwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car