lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
tkamleiter
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G16 Power Issues

I recently bought a 2002 G16 for my son. I was told the batteries were only a couple of years old. First, I think the batteries are bad but I am trying to confirm it before I go buy new batteries.
After I charge it we can drive it for about ten minutes. It then stops. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will go again. If you switch it to reverse then back to forward it will go again. I first bought a new switch thinking that was the issue. It didn’t fix it.
I have a voltage gage on it. When you push the pedal all the way in the battery percentage goes from 90% to 40%. Once you let off it goes back to 90%. I checked the batteries and they all measure 6.41 volts. I bought a load meter but I haven’t used it yet.
Has anyone has these issues? Any ideas of what my problem is?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by tkamleiter; 09-25-2021 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Mis-spelling
tkamleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:34 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Yamaha G16 Power Issues

When it stops after 10 min and the voltage drops significant when pushing the pedal, i'd say bad batteries. Voltage seems to be fine, but under load it's going down.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:19 AM   #3
Half Vast
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Check your batteries under load. I'll bet the voltage drops significantly when under load. Start there and report back.
Half Vast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
tkamleiter
Not Yet Wild

I tested the batteries and they dropped significantly under load so I replaced the batteries. The brand new batteries did the exact same thing. Ran for about 5-10 minutes and the cart stopped. Let it sit, it then runs.
I am going to get my old batteries back. At this point I don’t think the main issue is my batteries.
My next thought is the motor or controller. Any suggestions?
My first thought is the motor. It is putting an immediate load on the batteries and it gets hot and stops. Put it in reverse and it goes. Then back in fwd and it goes for a minute again. I have checked the temperature of the motor with an infrared thermometer and the outside was 130 F.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:11 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

New batteries and still the same issue i would say, pull the motor out. When it gets that hot, there must be a problem inside.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree with your thoughts on the motor...when it gets hot the brushes expand and stick...when it cools they then release until the same process happens again...pull motor, take apart when its still warm if possible and check brush holder and brushes....
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
tkamleiter
Not Yet Wild

Should I look to replace the brushes or just put in a new motor? The motor is almost 20 years old so that’s the way I was planning to go.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha