lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading my EZ-GO -

Thanks guys.....
Appreciate all the advice.......
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: Upgrading my EZ-GO -

JohnnieB,

Just went to double check the tires - they are 22's, not that that will make any difference.

I got 25' of 2ga welding cable, and plenty of copper lugs. I plan to crimp, solder, then shrink wrap each one, clean all surfaces, then coat everything with Sanchem. If those 2 field wires look undamaged, I'll leave them alone. If not I'll use parts of the removed battery wires (I think they are 6ga).

Quote:
I don't know how long a stock PDS motor will last turning those tall soft tires in sand, but it ought to be okay for a little while.
Explain "how long the motor will last".... Will it or the controller fail? Actually if the controller fails I'd have better justification to replace it (SWMBO handles the checkbook......). I'd presume tires bogged down (not spunning) is the danger, true?

Now why does that motor failure likelihood go down with the XCT48400-PDS controller?

I know the current setup does very well on the flats. I will have to bring my gps with me to see what speed it runs at. I'd rather have the torque for the sand than the speed.

I appreciate all advice... too bad we are not closer, I'd like to bend your ear some more...... LOL

Henri
Old 06-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrr View Post
JohnnieB,

1. Just went to double check the tires - they are 22's, not that that will make any difference.

2. I got 25' of 2ga welding cable, and plenty of copper lugs. I plan to crimp, solder, then shrink wrap each one, clean all surfaces, then coat everything with Sanchem. If those 2 field wires look undamaged, I'll leave them alone. If not I'll use parts of the removed battery wires (I think they are 6ga).

3. Explain "how long the motor will last".... Will it or the controller fail? Actually if the controller fails I'd have better justification to replace it (SWMBO handles the checkbook......).

4. I'd presume tires bogged down (not spunning) is the danger, true?

5. Now why does that motor failure likelihood go down with the XCT48400-PDS controller?

6. I know the current setup does very well on the flats. I will have to bring my gps with me to see what speed it runs at. I'd rather have the torque for the sand than the speed.

7. I appreciate all advice... too bad we are not closer, I'd like to bend your ear some more...... LOL

Henri
1. There is about 3.5% less torque loss with 22" tires. Also , measure your tire height with a level and yardstick. The numbers on the sidewall can be off by an inch or more in either direction. Mine are stamped 18x8.50-8 and they are only a whisper over 17" tall (17.04")

2. ---- If you do re-purpose the 6Ga cables, be sure to replace the old ring terminals with some good one.

3. With you cart as is (stock controller and stock motor), the controller is more likely fail first. Or at least that is what usually happens when tall, low pressure tires and a back seat are added to a PDS cart. Driving in sand, just makes it happen quicker.

4. A stalled or nearly stalled motor overheats quickly and when the motor goes, it often takes the controller with it. (The XCT has short circuit protection on its outputs, so they are designed to survive a catastrophic motor failure. )

5. The likelihood of a motor failure actually goes up with a higher ampacity controller. A controller is an amp limiting device, the RPM the motor is spinning at determines how many amps it will draw if it is allowed to by the controller. The stock PDS controller has a 300A limit while the XCT400 will pass about 460A peak for a few moments before is clamps the max output at 400A. Basically, the XCT will allow the stock PDS motor to work harder at low RPM, so it gets hotter.

6. If you tires are exactly 22" tall, the max theoretical speed is about 23 MPH, but it won't reach that speed with low pressure tires. A stock PDS controller limits the motor to 4400RPM. The XCT is user programmable up to 8000RPM, but you cannot get a stock PDS motor to spin that fast at 36V, or with tall tires, or with soft tires. You got all three, so I doubt if it is hitting the 4400RPM limit of the stock PDS controller.

7. Go ahead and ask your questions here, or in another thread. Other forum members may pick up some info, or chime into the discussion.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #14
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Excellent explanation again johnny.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnny....

What do you think of this migration plan? Pitfalls?????

Quote:
As suggested, drop an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger) in it and it will do a lot better on the sandy hills.

Get the super-duty solenoid (400A continuous/1000A peak). Like the XCT controller, it'll run at 36V, 42V and 48V, so it doesn't have to be replaced when you go to a higher voltage battery pack.
1. complete wiring upgrade to 2ga
2. order install the Alltrax XCT48400 Controller - where 2 get ? Looking at: -http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/con-xct48400pds.htm
3. order/install the 400A/1000A Solenoid - where 2 get? Will it cover 36v to 48v?
4. Later add additional 6v battery - space is available...

Do you have a good source (price will help) for the 2 items to order??

Henri
Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Order from Scottyb...or at least give him a look. He is a sponsor here, a regular and I bet you his prices beat the link you listed. He sells matched controller/solonoid packages that are usually cheaper than anyone else...least when I was looking around. Gives A1 customer service, fast shipping and packs the package like he expects a MLS soccer player to kick the box from his SOCAL location all the way to your doorstep!.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrr View Post
Johnny....

What do you think of this migration plan? Pitfalls?????

1. complete wiring upgrade to 2ga
2. order install the Alltrax XCT48400 Controller - where 2 get ? Looking at: -http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/con-xct48400pds.htm
3. order/install the 400A/1000A Solenoid - where 2 get? Will it cover 36v to 48v?
4. Later add additional 6v battery - space is available...

Do you have a good source (price will help) for the 2 items to order??

Henri
Looks good to me.

Order the Controller/solenoid kit from scottyb. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html
Be sure to specify you are 36V now and 42V or 48V later. (MZJ400 solenoid is needed for 36/42/48 volt plans)
Also get the optional fan for the XCT400.

--------
When upping the pack voltage, you also have to get a charger for the pack voltage you go to.

The 42V DPI Accusense can be upped to 48V by changing the PC Board. (Both the 42V and the 48V use the same transformer, the rest of the charger is on the PC Board.) The board runs about $125, but that is less than a new charger.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Email Sent.....
Thanks for letting me be a pest!!!
Henri
Old 06-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We have the lowest pricing on the net PLUS we include stuff we know you need to complete the job like discounted solenoid & free diodes, resistors, additional hardware, and terminal ends..... because I've done the installs and I know how costly & time consuming it can be to source out missing components.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB
Sent an email a bit ago....
Henri

Tags
ez-go 36volt, help wanted, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO