lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
tateallen2
Not Yet Wild

Default New batteries.... Do I "need" a new charger too???

1) Will buying a DPI Accusence charger extend the life of the batteries enough to justify the expense to replace a working charger?

2) If I'm going to buy a DPI Accusence, should I wait to get it to start charing this new set or will using my old Powerwise charger not have a negative effect on the new batteries?

I have a 36v PDS and just bought new batteries. My current charger is an old Powerwise brick and nothing special, but it works as it should (as far as I know). I just replaced the batteries and before hooking them up to my old charger I thought I better look into this (can't really find an answer with the search function). My cart gets used at least a couple times a week, but only for short trips of less than a mile.

I've done as much research as I can and clearly the DPI Accusence is the charger to buy if you need to buy a new charger, but I have not found any comments on buying one if your current charger still works.

Thanks for any comments and/or suggestions!
tateallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries.... Do I "need" a new charger too???

The Accusense 5 stage charge algorithm does a more complete job of battery replenishment than the OEM 3 stage charger does plus you get a float charge mode which all adds up to longer battery life. But, before you buy think about the future upgrades for your cart. PDS and 42v with Alltrax controller is a great performance match up... Just add one battery , the Alltrax Control, and a 42v DPI
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is most likely too late already, but new batteries ought to be given an initial charging prior to their first use, so you should charge your new batteries immediately with whatever charger you have available.

How much longer the batteries will last using a DPI charger depends on what charger you are using. You called your existing charger a "Powerwise brick", so it might be a Powerwise-QE (attachemet-1) rather than older Powerwise 28115 (attachement-2).

Apparently you don't use your cart everyday, so using either type Powerwise charger, the batteries will set in a partially discharged state between uses, so going to a DPI that has float charging will reduce battery aging some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qe1xy4.jpg (28.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
tateallen2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The Accusense 5 stage charge algorithm does a more complete job of battery replenishment than the OEM 3 stage charger does plus you get a float charge mode which all adds up to longer battery life. But, before you buy think about the future upgrades for your cart. PDS and 42v with Alltrax controller is a great performance match up... Just add one battery , the Alltrax Control, and a 42v DPI
I LOVE that idea!!! That was my plan.... but my batteries gave out before I was ready to commit that kind of money to my cart.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
tateallen2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It is most likely too late already, but new batteries ought to be given an initial charging prior to their first use, so you should charge your new batteries immediately with whatever charger you have available.

How much longer the batteries will last using a DPI charger depends on what charger you are using. You called your existing charger a "Powerwise brick", so it might be a Powerwise-QE (attachemet-1) rather than older Powerwise 28115 (attachement-2).

Apparently you don't use your cart everyday, so using either type Powerwise charger, the batteries will set in a partially discharged state between uses, so going to a DPI that has float charging will reduce battery aging some.
It's not too late.... my concern of damaging these new batteries is more than my excitement to try out the cart with the new batteries in.n I have not used the cart since I put the new batteries in.

The charger I have is the older Powerwise 28115.

You are correct... The cart will goes days without use, but will not go months or even weeks without use.

Still no clear answers to my question as to as to how much extra life I'll get from the batteries by using the DPI charger.

Thanks again for any help!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
MrDiode
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateallen2 View Post
It's not too late.... my concern of damaging these new batteries is more than my excitement to try out the cart with the new batteries in.n I have not used the cart since I put the new batteries in.

You are correct... The cart will goes days without use, but will not go months or even weeks without use.

Still no clear answers to my question as to as to how much extra life I'll get from the batteries by using the DPI charger.

the longer your batteries site having their charge depleted, the less service they will offer you over their lifetime. the float feature of the DPI charger eliminates this concern as it will kick in a trickle charge to top them up. the standard powerwise does not do this, you'll have to unplug and replug it in to top it off regularly (as i do).

if you can't manage to do that, the dpi will extend the life of your batteries.. by what amount can't be determined as the frame of reference is how often you are actively plugging/unplugging your current powerwise charger.
MrDiode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateallen2 View Post

There isn't a clear answer because there are too many variables involved.

I cannot predict exactly how long your batteries will live with either charger, so I cannot estimate how much longer they will live using a DPI charger. It might be a week, or it might be a month, or it might be a year.

However, I am reasonably certain they will live longer for two reasons.
1. The PW-28115 terminates the charge when the pack voltage reaches about 45V, which is a compromise between being low enough not to overcharge old batteries and still being high enough to "adequately" charge new batteries. In a nutshell, a PW-28115 does not fully charge the batteries, it only charges them to what someone at some point in time determined was good enough.

On the other hand, the DPI uses dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology and continues charging the batteries until the rate the on-charge voltage is increasing slows to about 0.004V per cell per hour. indicating the batteries have taken about all the charging they can accept.

2. Lead-acid wet-cell deep-cycle batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day and the DPI float charges them to maintain them at 100% charged.

Those two differences alone will increase the useful lifespan of the batteries, but how much is simply not known.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO