lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Micjmmy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What Did I Mess Up???

I have an 87 Marathon that sometimes backfires when coming to a stop... I decided to start with a carb rebuild, and will be following up with a new fuel pump. After rebuilding the carb today the cart started up with no issue, but I noticed that there was fuel leaking out of the bottom of the bowl where the main jet is located... I have removed the carb 3-4 more times making sure that the bowl is snug, but it is still spewing fuel... What did I mess up on? The carb rebuild kit didn't come with a new gasket for the main jet screw, but it doesn't seem like it should need one. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carb.pdf (12.4 KB, 0 views)
Micjmmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: What Did I Mess Up???

It's back firing because the butterfly in the carb is not shutting all the way when you let off the gas. And if you don't have a gasket on the bolt that holds the bowl on the carb, yes it will leak
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
Micjmmy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
It's back firing because the butterfly in the carb is not shutting all the way when you let off the gas. And if you don't have a gasket on the bolt that holds the bowl on the carb, yes it will leak
Hey rib, I've gone down that road already and made sure that I had a good spring to shut the butterfly when letting off the gas - I don't think that is the issue as it is definitely shutting all the way.

I have a gasket on the bolt/main jet that holds the bowl on (it isn't new but is in great shape), but it appears fuel is still getting past it.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
rib33024

Could be the float is to high (bent the tab on the float while cleaning), needs to be adjusted. How does it run, good, or is it choking down running bad. Do you have the gasket on the bowl where it meets the bottom of the carb. Look and see if it's running out of the vent hole on side of the carb and running down the carb and dripping off the bottom of the bowl
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micjmmy View Post
I have an 87 Marathon that sometimes backfires when coming to a stop... I decided to start with a carb rebuild, and will be following up with a new fuel pump. After rebuilding the carb today the cart started up with no issue, but I noticed that there was fuel leaking out of the bottom of the bowl where the main jet is located... I have removed the carb 3-4 more times making sure that the bowl is snug, but it is still spewing fuel... What did I mess up on? The carb rebuild kit didn't come with a new gasket for the main jet screw, but it doesn't seem like it should need one. Any help would be appreciated!
This is why I asked about the gasket on bolt on the the bottom of the bowl
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #6
Micjmmy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
This is why I asked about the gasket on bolt on the the bottom of the bowl
It seems to be running fine, although I barely got out of the driveway before noticing all the fuel on the ground.

I have the o-ring in place where the bowl meets the bottom of the carb and it appears that there is a good seal there. I understand that there would need to be a gasket on the bolt at the bottom of the bowl. The kit didn't come with a new one, but the old one seems to be in great shape so I re-used it. The part that I'm talking about is more of a plastic washer than a traditional gasket or o-ring...

After doing some research, I think you may be right about the float being too high... I'm going to start there tomorrow and see if that helps.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
rib33024

Yeah it's not a gasket. used the wrong word. Yes check the float, it's easy to bend the float cleaning the carb. Especially when you take it apart a few times and put it back together
Old 02-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The float level will not make it leak out of the bottom of the bowl. It would make it leak from the breather tube.

You have to be very careful getting the bowl to sit in the groove with the O ring. It's best done on the bench upside down.
You also have to be very careful to not tighten the bowl nut too much. You can't crank it down to make the bowl seal.

That will cave in the bottom of the bowl causing a leak. If you keep cranking enough, it will also block the cross drilled holes that feed the main jet. The bowl surface needs to be flat across the bottom.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Proper adjustment of idle set screw is critical...

here is (not factory) adjustment procedure.

1) carefully remove screw and spring
2) inspect for corrosion and spring damage
3) carefully hold spring and set screw in your dominant hand
4) turn 180 degrees away from cart and throw as hard as you can
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO