lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
lindyb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default It Burns the Grass

I have a '95 EZGo, or I think it is a '95. Could be a combination. I ride it from the house down to the pier where I fish because of my old bum knee. I noticed a slight burning smell but turned it off when I got to the pier. It cooled down while I was fishing. Drove it back up to the house and noticed that there were burned spaces on the grass. I thought it may be from the bottom of the golf cart. Drove down to the pier again and saw there were burn spots on the grass there, too. When I went to charge it, I made sure I had enough water in the two year old batteries and gave it a good charge. I didn't see any more scorched spots on the grass again. So, here are my questions--it looks to me that the batteries got very hot and scorched the grass, but why? And it looks to me that I could have been sitting on an explosion. Nobody I asked about this had any clue. It has been a few weeks since this happened. So, I keep watering the batteries every few days and charge it (until I broke the charger--another thread) and I haven't noticed any charred grass. Oh, and btw, I didn't catch any fish but a 24" sheepshead and a few hard heads.
lindyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: It Burns the Grass

I think your cart is likely older than 1995, like maybe 1985. A "resistor cart" with coils to control the speed. I think your solenoid is welded in the ON position. Which makes it the "fire starter" you describe. You should at least put the shifter in the middle "neutral" position every time you come to a stop.... (I really think you should disconnect the batteries until you get this fixed). Just as you describe, it is a rolling fire starter.... Want the fire in Your garage/shop/yard? A welded solenoid is a common mode of failure for the older resistor carts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I think your cart is likely older than 1995, like maybe 1985. A "resistor cart" with coils to control the speed. I think your solenoid is welded in the ON position. Which makes it the "fire starter" you describe. You should at least put the shifter in the middle "neutral" position every time you come to a stop.... (I really think you should disconnect the batteries until you get this fixed). Just as you describe, it is a rolling fire starter.... Want the fire in Your garage/shop/yard? A welded solenoid is a common mode of failure for the older resistor carts.

Check and see if the cart wants to move even if you aren't hitting the gas. When the cart is parked, open the battery compartment and see if you see any of the coil resistors turning red or otherwise giving off a ton of heat. Don't touch them directly, obviously.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
lindyb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It hasn't done it in a couple of weeks. I made sure I kept water in the batteries and it stopped doing it.

And, no, it doesn't try to go when I have it stopped.

We are directly on the Intracoastal in Sargent, Texas. It has been kept outside for the last two years, so I have to keep spraying WD40 on the parts. However, I think it will do better. We just built a storage shed and last weekend was the first time it has spent the night inside.

I have another topic about charging, I'll post in a minute. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Re-read what the guys above said. I doubt the batteries, or watering the batteries have anything to do with the problem.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do NOT put it in your new shed [or near anything else you cherish], until you find the problem and fix it.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
lindyb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I solved the mystery of the burn marks on the grass. I'm told it is battery acid that leaked. So, I cleaned off the battery posts with soda and water and brushed them with a toothbrush. A friend came over and replaced battery cables. He tested them and they were in the 5.8 to 6.1 range. The borrowed charger did not work. When I plugged it in, the needle on the charger went to 12:00. It "charged" for about an hour and shut off. Turned the key on and it didn't take the charge. Could I have a wrong charger?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO