lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default My 2PG Rebuild with pics

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my 2PG rebuild. It's a work in progress but should be completed fairly soon.

The engine is out of an '88 Marathon that I got for $100 as a package deal. He said it ran when parked 3 years ago.

I did get it to fire up but not without alot of noise. When I removed the exhaust and looked up into the cylinder, this is what I found.

Boy, I guess it finally died right in the place where he parked it.

Below is the home made eloctrolysis setup for cleaning the cylinder before boring.

Here's the patient that needs the bath.

Here's the bubbling cauldron of magic that will clean all but the most stubborn buildup on the cylinder.

MICKEYMOTORMOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Anopsis
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My 2PG Rebuild with pics

I'm anxious to see the results.
Anopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The piston is a Polaris replacement for the Gemini sled with 244CC Fuji single cylinder engine. The engine is almost identical to the 2PG with the bore and stroke being the same between the 2 engines.

I got the piston on E-bay for $28 plus shipping. It's a .040" oversize(1mm.) making the finish bore size 73 mm.

It is much stouter than the original piston and has an area of thicker casting right where the intake port has to be cut into the piston.

Careful dimensions using a digital caliper helped me locate the location for the new piston port.

Using a small drill bit and drill, I drilled around the perimeter of the port and cut out the remaining with a dremel tool. After careful mockup, I widened the port to match the existing port in the cylinder.

I also noticed the original piston had the port slightly offset from centerline of the cylinder, therefore covering a portion of the intake port.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

While the cylinder was off at the machine shop, I got to work on rebuilding the lower end of the engine. Nothing fancy here, just new bearings and crank seals.

You will also notice the weld job done on the engine case. I have seen another guy on here that had his crack all the way through. I was lucky to catch it in time.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's the cylinder. I did some mild blending of the dividers between the 2 ports along with tapering the very bottom of the cylinder to aid in the overall aerodynamics of the fuel/air charge rushing up from the bottom of the crankcase when the transfer port is uncovered.

The cylinder head was milled to remove the area of quench. There is still plenty of quench with the head gasket and there is no chance of the piston hitting the head.

Here's a pic of the piston with the new port along with the cylinder.

Here's everything washed and ready for assembly.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Great info and great pics!! will be watching
drift240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
ptmtp26
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Very neat! So crafty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ptmtp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:36 AM   #8
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift240se View Post
Great info and great pics!! will be watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmtp26 View Post
Very neat! So crafty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am curious as to how well this will run in the end.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, got the short block all together.

Next is the cylinder head install. I ended up making my own washers for the three bolts that are used to mount the engine. They came from a Kohler engine I had parts from. A simple countersink job makes them a good replacement for the originals.

Head gasket. Be sure to put the side with the bigger metal ring toward the cylinder and not the head. This side goes toward the head.

This is the cylinder side.

Tools for the job. Finish torque is 18 ft./lbs. using a criss-cross pattern to tighten the bolts. Start off with a lower torque and slowly work up to the finish torque so the head is seated evenly against the gasket.

Be sure to orient the head so that the bolts holding the shroud are on the same side as the ones in the cylinder.

Here's what it looks like up to this point.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. Moving on to the flywheel, fan and shrouding install.

This pic shows the pickup plate installed with a slight amount of ignition advance. Normal timing would have the screws in the center of the slots. Rotate the plate clockwise to advance the timing and couter-clockwise to retard the timing. I am not sure how much advance to go with here so it will be a trial and error process to get to the optimum running timing. Of course, there is the subject of the reverse. I'm not looking for any performance here, just functionality.

Here's the fan. Notice the KEY arrow at the top and timing mark at 9 O'clock. Be sure piston is at TDC and install with KEY arrow at 12 O'clock. Failure to do so will render the timing marks useless when using a timing light.

Here it is sitting on the flywheel at TDC.

Here it is assembled with the fan shroud in place. Notice the timing mark on the shroud and fan at 10 O'clock.

Shroud install. If you milled the head as I have done, you will need to enlarge the mounting holes as the original distance between the holes in the head and holes in the cylinder has been shortened due to the milling process. This will also allow the fan shroud to fit under the head shroud.

Some Anti-Seize helps here with the bolts since 3 of the originals were broken off flush by the previous owner.

Here we are to date.

Next task: the lowly reed valve. Looking for someone who has had a positive outcome by modifying the reed. I have read numerous posts about opening it up and using a single petal reed. Any and all comments would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Happy New Year to All!!!!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO