lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT 96 DCS 36v to 48v Battery Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
Actually don't know how to count the lids and what I should be looking for on the batteries. Researching now. Thanks for the tip!

Ok, educated myself. :) 4 caps (8v) vs 3 caps (6v). Gotcha.
All lead-acid batteries consist of a number of 2V cells connected in series and packed in a box. The storage capacity of the 2V cells is pretty much determined by the square footage of the lead plates and the concentration of the acid. Roughly the same strength acid is used in all deep-cycle wet-cells and 6V (3 cell) and 8V (4 cell) are packed in roughly the same sized box, so the cells used for 8V batteries are about 3/4 the size of those used in 6V batteries.

When battery packs of different voltages are compared, watt-hours are used, so the battery pack voltage is multiplied by the AH of storage. The standard 36V battery pack has six 6V-225AH for 8100 watt-hours and 48V pack using six 8V-170AH has 8160 watt-hours, so for a run-time about the same as the standard 36V pack, go with six 170AH-8V batteries.

Attached is a chart of various 8V batteries.
You may have different brands of golf cart batteries up north, so just pick a battery with a similar AH rating (at the 20hr rate) to see where it stacks up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT 96 DCS 36v to 48v Battery Tray

Great information
BuggyGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery info

Very nice info...helped with me decision.
Corey_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:58 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

A great little bit of info to start a great "vast knowledge" thread from. Too bad 90% of visitors will never stop by to see it. I cant wait to see it grow with more info that most will never bother to see. Here's a little chart about how long it takes for your new batteries to reach "full capacity" from a charger manufacturer who tested it. He excitedly asked me "how many cycles does it take for them to get near 'max capacity'", I said 25-50, and he sent me this. It takes around 100. I love talking with people who know things by testing them first. These were hard cycles, testing them to death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191206_131531.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Next thing I'm digging for is SOC vs LIFESPAN.

Keep those batteries charged, as much as you can! This is the lifespan difference between "charging as often as you can" , and "I charge them when it starts to slow down".

If this isnt the point of this thread, just say so, but I feel it's just as important as "advertised capacity".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Lifespan.jpg (127.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Corey_W
Gone Wild

But if you have a 36v cart you can’t do 8v batteries, correct? Or am I missing something. I’m brand new to the golf cart world. Got an 84 marathon from my in laws that I’m just starting to work on.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_W View Post
But if you have a 36v cart you can’t do 8v batteries, correct? Or am I missing something. I’m brand new to the golf cart world. Got an 84 marathon from my in laws that I’m just starting to work on.
No, not unless you wanted to buy the other required parts to convert to 48v. (Which is a great option for more power & speed)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
No, not unless you wanted to buy the other required parts to convert to 48v. (Which is a great option for more power & speed)
Ok but if I’m not wanting to buy a new moter and other parts I just stick with 6-6v batteries. But can I get a larger amp for longer usage right?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Buy the highest AH rating battery you can afford to maximize range. NOT higher voltage.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Very helpful; thanks!
rcpd5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO