lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
Boilermaker57201
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery info

I have a 36 volt ezgo txt. I have tested my pack with a load tester i borrowed from work. I tested each one and they read ok on the 6 volt section. It seemed near the end of last golf season i didn't have as much power or time on batteries. Is there a better way to test them? If they are getting weak, will it help to buy one or two as i can to spread out the cost of new ones, or will that not help me or do any damage to new batteries?
Boilermaker57201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker57201 View Post
I have a 36 volt ezgo txt. I have tested my pack with a load tester i borrowed from work. I tested each one and they read ok on the 6 volt section. It seemed near the end of last golf season i didn't have as much power or time on batteries. Is there a better way to test them? If they are getting weak, will it help to buy one or two as i can to spread out the cost of new ones, or will that not help me or do any damage to new batteries?
Accurate load testing of deep-cycle lead-acid batteries take an expensive piece of specialized test equipment that discharges the battery(ies) at a constant amp flow over a measured period of time and automatically stops the discharge and timer when 1.75VPC (Volts per Cell) is reached. The results are typically Minutes @ 75A for 6V batteries or Minutes @ 56A for 8V and 12V batteries and compared to the rated runtime given by the battery manufacturer.

For example: A Trojan T-105 6V-225AH battery has a rating of 115 Minutes @ 75A and is the the runtime is half of that or less, the battery is at the end of its usable lifespan.

The battery load testers found in auto parts stores are designed to test SLI (Starter/Lights/Ignition) batteries and do not accurately test deep-cycle batteries.

While it doesn't measure runtime, you can attach a DVM to the battery pack and measure the pack voltage while going up hill to see how low it goes under load. If it drops below about 30V for a 36V pack, connect the DVM to individual batteries and find out if one or more is dropping significantly more than the others.

Putting new batteries into a battery pack that is over 6 months old should be avoided. The new batteries will soon acquire the same aging as the old batteries. If you find some batteries whose voltage drops significantly more than others, they can be replaced with good batteries approximately the same AH and age, or if new ones have to be used, the must be considered sacrificial batteries and will need to be replaced at the same time the rest of the pack is replaced.

In other words, replacing the batteries piecemeal doesn't work very well and will cost more money in the long run.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #13
Boilermaker57201
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Battery info

Thank you very much. You were very helpful.
Boilermaker57201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
Cliffy23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What is causing some of my battery terminals to sweat? Is this an indication that they’re nearing the end of their life cycle, or is something else going on? I’ve not noticed any loss of power or range. Thank you
Cliffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Some batteriy brands are just "messier" than others. In my opinion, US batteries are messier than Trojans.

And I realize you didnt specify brand.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also might be condensation. Warm humid days following a chilly night.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
Jcherry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I recently bought a 2005 ezgo txt 36V. It runs about 11-12 miles an hour on a full charge.
I’m looking to start upgrading but have no idea where to even start the batterys are 2 year old Trojans.
Looking for suggestions on what I should do? Convert it to 48v? Lift kit? New controller, motor, solenoid? If so which ones do you suggest?
Jcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcherry View Post
So I recently bought a 2005 ezgo txt 36V. It runs about 11-12 miles an hour on a full charge.
I’m looking to start upgrading but have no idea where to even start the batterys are 2 year old Trojans.
Looking for suggestions on what I should do? Convert it to 48v? Lift kit? New controller, motor, solenoid? If so which ones do you suggest?
It would be best to start a new thread for these questions.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #19
Brown32
Not Yet Wild

I have 1 year old trojan t-105. I am familiar with battery equalization from years of working on industrial power equipment. My charger does not have a equalization option.

Should I invest in a charger with equalizer option?

Should I charge all batteries separately on a 6v charger?

I guess I am asking what kind of maintenance are you all doing to keep the batteries fresh.
Brown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown32 View Post
I have 1 year old trojan t-105. I am familiar with battery equalization from years of working on industrial power equipment. My charger does not have a equalization option.

Should I invest in a charger with equalizer option?

Should I charge all batteries separately on a 6v charger?

I guess I am asking what kind of maintenance are you all doing to keep the batteries fresh.
Equalization charging can be done with your regular cart charger. Basically you initiate a new charge cycle following a completed charge cycle. In other words, recharge a "fully" charged battery pack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO