lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #61
Wake_rider
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery info

Hey all. New member here and I hope this is the right place to post my question about my new Trojan t-105 batteries on a 2006 TXT 36v:

10 days old, I've run them and recharged every day. "H1" stamp (August 2021 ship date, I believe) -

After charging, I'm only getting 37.0v. I just put a multimeter on each battery and this is what my readout is:

Battery 1 (closest to positive wire to controller) - 6.32v
Battery 2 - 6.31v
Battery 3 - 6.32v
Battery 4 - 6.03v
Battery 5 - 6.03v
Battery 6 (final battery connected to negative terminal to controller) - 6.04v

I have the ground wire from the charging port going to the negative of battery 4. Is this my problem? It's not really long enough to make it further. Or is this a bad 4th battery that's not letting higher voltage get to the last two batteries (5 and 6)?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions. I'm from a motocross and offroad vehicles background and this is the first time I've ever really messed with anything electrical beyond replacing parts. I'm not experienced with this stuff at all but am willing to learn.
Wake_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #62
rngilliland
Gone Wild

I think you need to connect the ground wire from the charge port to the negative post of the last battery in the series.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #63
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Welcome to BGW,

Here is a diagram how you should be wired. All 6 batteries should be wired together in series as shown below.

Run a longer wire to the "Main -" of the 6th battery to connect all 6 batteries of your pack to your charger. As connected now, you are only charging the first 4 batteries.

The charging wires should be connected to the "Main +" and to the "Main -" (battery 1 and battery 6). Make sure your higher amperage cables are in direct contact with the lead base of the battery terminal terminal studs and the lower amperage charging cables are above the high amp cables. This will reduce resistance in the connection and avoid heat buildup. Also note the torque on the Trojan stud connections is 95 - 105 INCH Pounds ... which is only 8 to 8.8 Ft - Pounds ... not very much torque. Over torqueing these connections can result in the studs loosening from the lead posts, which results to an increase in resistance, leading to increased heat which can result in melted battery posts ... it happens often if post connections are over torqued so use care.

Also find attached a state of charge chart for your reference which you can use to convert your battery voltages to a State of Charge percentage. You can see that those batteries at 6.03 volts are only at a 50% state of charge.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #64
Wake_rider
Not Yet Wild

You were both spot on. After I wrote my post last night, it clicked as to what mistake I had made. The guy that owned the cart before me had wired in 3 12v car batteries which made the wiring look odd. I realized last night that he had doubled back the negative wire from the charging port inside the wiring harness, so I just split it open and took it back to the correct location for the 6-6v setup.

My concern now is that the first three batteries that were correctly charging are getting a significant overcharge as the other three that were out of the charging loop get caught up. We will see when I get home from work tonight.

Thank you both for the input!

ps- for the battery posts, I changed them over to wingnuts so I can quick disconnect if needed on the trail/course. I also want to disconnect the negative as an additional cheap level of theft protection when it's on the trailer. I just snug them up finger tight but don't go crazy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
I think you need to connect the ground wire from the charge port to the negative post of the last battery in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Welcome to BGW,

Here is a diagram how you should be wired. All 6 batteries should be wired together in series as shown below.

Run a longer wire to the "Main -" of the 6th battery to connect all 6 batteries of your pack to your charger. As connected now, you are only charging the first 4 batteries.

The charging wires should be connected to the "Main +" and to the "Main -" (battery 1 and battery 6). Make sure your higher amperage cables are in direct contact with the lead base of the battery terminal terminal studs and the lower amperage charging cables are above the high amp cables. This will reduce resistance in the connection and avoid heat buildup. Also note the torque on the Trojan stud connections is 95 - 105 INCH Pounds ... which is only 8 to 8.8 Ft - Pounds ... not very much torque. Over torqueing these connections can result in the studs loosening from the lead posts, which results to an increase in resistance, leading to increased heat which can result in melted battery posts ... it happens often if post connections are over torqued so use care.

Also find attached a state of charge chart for your reference which you can use to convert your battery voltages to a State of Charge percentage. You can see that those batteries at 6.03 volts are only at a 50% state of charge.
Wake_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #65
andyktm423
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2022 ez go rxv elite, can you stack a 2nd battery which is a samsung sdi 48v pack for longer rides?
andyktm423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:18 PM   #66
Ezpz1001
Not Yet Wild

Great info thanks!
Ezpz1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #67
dhollo4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great tip on the torque of the battery posts - Thanks !
dhollo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #68
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Don’t use wing nuts on battery post. In proper battery connection will cause anything from lack of power to corrosion to melted battery post. Use proper battery connections.

Unless thief has tools along with wiring knowledge to defeat key switch, disconnected battery terminal does nothing.
Just saying
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO