lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #11
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
How about the best meter for a 2" round hole?
Victron BMV712 by far.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Victron BMV712 by far.
Well, I just spent the last hour reading and watching videos on this little contraption! Yea, that is pretty slick. Pretty much overkill for a golf cart, but I "get it". It's a lot like the controller readout I had in my solar hunting cabin.

Have you guys installed these and used these on a golf cart? The shunt is wired in through the negative lead to/from batteries? Seems simple enough. Not a 2" hole though! I could be game for this. Tell me more please!
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #13
bobby1253
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the meter from Carts Unlimited and have been very pleased. Very accurate.
bobby1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I'd like a meter with a voltage readout. Partially programable would be nice, 2" hole would be nice too.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Well, I just spent the last hour reading and watching videos on this little contraption! Yea, that is pretty slick. Pretty much overkill for a golf cart, but I "get it". It's a lot like the controller readout I had in my solar hunting cabin.

Have you guys installed these and used these on a golf cart? The shunt is wired in through the negative lead to/from batteries? Seems simple enough. Not a 2" hole though! I could be game for this. Tell me more please!
I have the Victron BMV702 with the optional Bluetooth dongle (the BMV712 that I recommended has Bluetooth built in) and it is fantastic. It is not only extremely accurate but is also monitors the mid-point of the pack and alarms if the difference between the two haves is greater than your set amount. Once I had a single cell getting dry and so the voltage on one half of the pack dropped compared to the other half. My Victron sounded the alarm and I was able to immediately find the problem and top up the batteries before there was any damage. The overall pack voltage was still good so the alarm told me there was something wrong before a simple voltmeter would have.

The Bluetooth gives a great output on your phone so you can do all sorts of checks on the batteries without lifting the seat. The phone output makes it very easy to check your outputs while the cart is moving under any conditions.

This meter is expensive but gives you much more information than a simple voltmeter. The cost is only a fraction of a new battery pack so it can pay for itself in extra battery life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190216_181830 3000.jpg (299.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BMV-702 Mounted 2000.jpg (376.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201106_163401.jpg (351.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3694.jpg (232.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-18-2020, 01:14 AM   #16
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

BTW, why do you say it is not a 2" hole? The mounting hole for the meter is 52.53mm which is 2.068 inches.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
BTW, why do you say it is not a 2" hole? The mounting hole for the meter is 52.53mm which is 2.068 inches.
Thanks for writeup and info. I have to ask, it looks like one leg coming off the shut is much smaller gauge wire, was that on purpose?

I thought the cut-out size was 62mm? That's why I was wondering about the 2" hole size.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #18
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for writeup and info. I have to ask, it looks like one leg coming off the shut is much smaller gauge wire, was that on purpose?

I thought the cut-out size was 62mm? That's why I was wondering about the 2" hole size.
I still have the original battery cables which are only 6(?) gauge. The smaller one is the original that I disconnected from the 6th battery negative terminal (and goes through the OBC hole). The blue one is the one I bought at the local auto shop to go back to the terminal from the other end of the shunt. It happens to be a larger cable. They cross over like that so that the shunt is at a convenient orientation to attach the meter cable etc.

I think that the 62mm you saw was the diameter of the face of the meter itself. The meter behind the face is 2" and goes into a 2" hole.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #19
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Plenty more information here:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...attery%2Acable
Old 11-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #20
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmth86 View Post
I am wondering if anyone has experience using this voltage meter?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0775...E9RJVUMB&psc=1
Did you buy it? i got one after seeing this post, looked cool. (i still have my one like the carts unlimited one in my dash)

Love that you can set it. I have my Full at 38.4V and Empty at 36.3V.
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car