lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default reversing contactor questions

Hey Guys. So i am VERY tired of both this dumb stiff F/R switch on my PC954 AND the million feet of cable needed for it.

searching for something easier for my kids and wife to turn and i came across something called a reversing contactor on scottybs website.

How does this work? can anyone show me some pics or vids on how it gets put in and works?
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: reversing contactor questions

A mechanical F/R switch is effectively a DPDT switch designed to pass a lot of amps. A reversing contactor is typically a pair of SPDT solenoids connected together to get a DPDT operation.

One of the solenoid coils is energized for forward and the other is energized for reverse. A SPDT/center off (on-off-on) switch is used to selectively send voltage to the solenoid coils.

The reversing contactor assembly can be mounted close to the motor to minimize the length of the high current cables. Relatively small gauge wires (16Ga or so) connect the direction selector switch to the reversing contactor assembly.

Here's a picture of one installed in a series cart, but it can be mounted anyplace there is room for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller_zps4ffe52f4.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is something strange about that reversing contactor in the picture, did you notice the + magnetic blowout indicator is on opposite sides in each half of the assembly?

It is almost like someone took the top cap OFF and put it back reversed.

If those halfs indeed have magnetic blowouts then it is not wired properly as the B+ should be going to the two top studs connected by the bus-bar.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is something strange about that reversing contactor in the picture, did you notice the + magnetic blowout indicator is on opposite sides in each half of the assembly?

If those halfs indeed have magnetic blowouts then it is not wired properly as the B+ should be going to the two top studs connected by the bus-bar.
Strange indeed, most of the caps have an alignment pin which prohibits reversing the position of the cap as shown?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the SW202 caps can go either way, here is a picture of one without the magnets installed in the slots, notice how the slots are keyed for the magnets to maintain the proper polarity:

Sorry about the size but it is a direct link to the parts site....

Edit: I see the keyhole now, maybe the cap is not flush with the body
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnegan View Post
can anyone show me some pics or vids on how it gets put in and works?
Find attached an "example" Alltrax wiring diagram of how a SW202 Forward - Reverse Contactor is wired in. Note that this for a Series cart.

I have also attached some Curtis Albright specifications for the SW202 Contactors.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

Ooops. I'm not all that familiar with reversing contactors and wasn't aware there was anything strange about the one in the picture. Don't have any idea who posted it originally.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've taken enough of these apart to know ours had a single pin which mandates the cap position. You simply can't put it on wrong without braking something. It may be the unit pictured does not have magnetic blowouts... just + marks ?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great info guys! Thanks a lot.

So in a nutshell, remove the F/R switch and cables, put this new reversing contactor in the back with the electronics, hook up the 4 cables to it, run a thinner pair of like 16 gauge wires up to the front, which will now have a simple switch?

Makes sense to me!
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
Special K
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What is the longevity on a contactor used for F/R on a golf cart.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO