lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2014 RXV Batteries get SUPER HOT !!

Batteries are 2015. All load test good. Cables and ends all look good. Charger is Links Series Charger 48 volt 13 amps. Left it plugged up all night, came out in the morning and they were red hot ! Even the wood on the bottom of the seat was hot! Pack voltage was 52.4 Never seen this before I have personally owned for my own use, a 2008 RXV and I now drive a 2018 RXV. NEVER had issues like this....IDEAS ????

Thank You
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 RXV Batteries get SUPER HOT !!

Batteries are failing, they cant readily rise to the shut-off voltage, so the charger just stays on, and the batteries converts the energy into heat.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesotn View Post
Batteries are 2015. All load test good. Cables and ends all look good. Charger is Links Series Charger 48 volt 13 amps. Left it plugged up all night, came out in the morning and they were red hot ! Even the wood on the bottom of the seat was hot! Pack voltage was 52.4 Never seen this before I have personally owned for my own use, a 2008 RXV and I now drive a 2018 RXV. NEVER had issues like this....IDEAS ????

Thank You
Not a Links charger, but I bought a new 48 volt, 13 Amp not so cheap chinese charger for lead/acid batteries once. It ruined the lead/acid batteries in my RXV by not turning off when the batteries reached shutoff voltage. The first time, water in the very hot batteries was just below the tops of the plates by the time I discovered that the charger had not shut off when I checked on it the next day. I contacted the seller to report what happened. He told me to refill the batteries and try the charger again. The result was ruined batteries of course, which I had pretty much expected. Good thing I had the eBay messages of our conversations about the issue. That he had told me to try it again after being told that it did not shut off, made him responsible for the damage it had caused. I was provided an eBay credit for the replacement cost of my batteries. I used it to help pay for a set of 100 A/H LiFePO4 cells! He did not want to pay to have the charger returned, so I ended up adjusting the shutoff voltage and used it to charge a lithium pack I put in that RXV. The packs BMS would protect the new pack if the charger malfunctioned. Never had a problem with it after that.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:53 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesotn View Post

Thank You
Did the charger shut off?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
Jamesotn
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response...a reliable battery tech stated as did cgtech that they are failing and I'm going to install a new set. Thanks to all
Jamesotn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red hot battery's !!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO