lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Controller Buyer Guide?

Is there a comparison of the controller upgrades somewhere? I've found individual videos and write-ups on Navitas, Alltrax, Curtis, PlumQuick, but nothing comparing them. There is a lot of positive buzz here and on YouTube about Navitas.

I've put down my money (quite a bit) by ordering a Navitas 440A/4kw AC conversion kit, and am having second thoughts as all I really want is a cart that doesn't slow to a walking pace going up an 8% grade.

Thanks!

Last edited by ACHiPo; 02-02-2021 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Remove unsubstantiated negative statement
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
greg-g
Gone Wild

Default Re: Controller Buyer Guide?

Please show what you have read on navitas being on the rocks, also plum quick does not make controllers.

Sounds like more fake news to me People can post anything
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As far as aftermarket consumer customizable the only options are Alltrax and Navitas.

If You go AC Navitas is currently the only player.

Unless you have a real need, the On the Fly marketing hype (Both Alltrax and Navitas have them) does not really translate to practical day-to-day use for most users.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I posted 10 reasons why Alltrax should be your next speed controller. Since then Alltrax has added BT compatibility and new phone apps are due any day. I find the FN2 (on the fly) module the most useful but if you have kids or elderly users you may find the locking 3 mode FN-Key feature most helpful. In any case Alltrax offers superior interface when it comes to controller programming. And a superior warranty. They have a very long track record and they are an American company with manufacturing in the USA.
Read more on my website > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/about...ntrollers.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Please show what you have read on navitas being on the rocks, also plum quick does not make controllers.

Negative comment removed from OP.

PlumQuick may not make controllers, but they market them under their brand on their site. Thus the confusion.

Scotty, I will check out your site. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As far as aftermarket consumer customizable the only options are Alltrax and Navitas.

If You go AC Navitas is currently the only player.

Unless you have a real need, the On the Fly marketing hype (Both Alltrax and Navitas have them) does not really translate to practical day-to-day use for most users.
Thanks. I agree the on-the-fly is useless for my needs, as is the BlueTooth. My concern is that my Club Car has been very reliable to date--I just don't like the fact that it drops down to ~3mph going up the hill--and I'm not looking for hot rod performance or reliability. I love the idea of being able to have a solid 20 mph regardless of terrain as long as it is reliable, but if it comes at the expense of design safety margin I'm not interested.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post

I edited my original post to remove the unsubstantiated negative statement. Sorry--it was not fair and I fell into a common trap on the interwebs.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That hill must be a lot steeper than 8% (8ft rise in 100ft run), but that still seems like too much drop in speed.

Have you already checked the pack voltage when going up the hill to make sure they are still good?

Most stock club car motors have their peak torque in the rpm range that drops to 8mph on steep hills.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That hill must be a lot steeper than 8% (8ft rise in 100ft run), but that still seems like too much drop in speed.

Have you already checked the pack voltage when going up the hill to make sure they are still good?

Most stock club car motors have their peak torque in the rpm range that drops to 8mph on steep hills.
The cart had brand new batteries when I bought it 7 years ago. The performance up the hill has not changed. The batteries definitely are due for replacement, but that is not what causes the slow hill climb. I have not measured the grade--just guessing it's around 8%. It is a neighborhood street from our course in the "valley" to the "hill", which is about a 200' elevation gain over about 1/2 mile, but it's not a consistent slope so there are portions that are probably steeper than 8%. Other carts (the club just got new E-Z-Carts with Li batteries, and before that the Club Car FLA carts were still faster up the hill--maybe 10 mph down from 12-15 on flats) make it up the hill significantly faster.

Edit: Just pulled up topographic info. It is about 130' elevation gain over 2100', so an average of 5.9% grade. The steepest portion is probably close to 10%, maybe a bit higher. Still, other carts make it up the hill without slowing as much as my cart. What's amazing is it always makes it, even though it feels like it won't.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 02-02-2021 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: More precise grade info
Old 02-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I promise you will have no regrets with the Navitas 4kw kit!
I’ve had that and the 600amp/5kw kit and both are awesome!
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac converter, alltrex, navitas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car