lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo marathon 36v charger burning smell

I have a ezgo marathon 36v and the charger is getting very hot. Like almost burn you hot. It’s pulling a little over 20amps when I plug it in. I’ve checked all the wires and it’s wired correctly. (The cart). I replaced all the cables in the golf cart with larger 2awg wires going to motor, batteries, switch etc. all wires are the same size. Is it normal for a charger to pull that many amps? My son said he plugged it in earlier and after just a little bit, the charger had a little smoke coming from it. I’m guessing the charger is bad? Or is there’s something else that could cause this? Thanks
Bryans200583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo marathon 36v charger burning smell

You said the charger is pulling 20 amps, how did you measure that? The gauge on the charger shows how many amps it is putting out.

If it is indeed pulling 20 amps that's too much. Most outlets are rated for 15amps and pretty much anything you buy that plugs into 120v will pull 15 or less amps with very few exceptions.

I'd open it up and look for what's burnt. You've got something wrong

Good rule of thumb for any consumer electronic device: If it's smoking, that's too hot. If it'll burn you, that's too hot.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO