lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
CartCartCart
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 Club Car Rebuild Questions

Hello everyone,

this is my first post but I've been lurking for a bit. I just bought a 1986 Club Car DS that I will be rebuilding to a modern machine. I have never done anything with a cart before, so I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Can the front seats from the later years (plastic arm handles and one piece seat back) be swapped onto my cart? I have heard they could here, then that there were modifications needed to the handles. I am still confused

2. I am currently stripping it down to the frame and want to know the consensus on painting the frame. I have read to neutralize the battery box and rivet alum angle to corroded parts, so I will be doing that, but some here are also using POR-15 and the like on the frame. Is this necessary or recommended as its aluminum?

3. Any rookie mistakes to look out for?

Looks like a knowledgeable and active forum, looking forward to posting progress!

C3
CartCartCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1986 Club Car Rebuild Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartCartCart View Post
Hello everyone,

this is my first post but I've been lurking for a bit. I just bought a 1986 Club Car DS that I will be rebuilding to a modern machine. I have never done anything with a cart before, so I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Can the front seats from the later years (plastic arm handles and one piece seat back) be swapped onto my cart? I have heard they could here, then that there were modifications needed to the handles. I am still confused

2. I am currently stripping it down to the frame and want to know the consensus on painting the frame. I have read to neutralize the battery box and rivet alum angle to corroded parts, so I will be doing that, but some here are also using POR-15 and the like on the frame. Is this necessary or recommended as its aluminum?

Looks like a knowledgeable and active forum, looking forward to posting progress!

C3
1) They will fit.

2) I see no reason to paint the frame. Just a headache after it's done.

3) We all have made them. Just ask in here if not sure.

4) to the addiction.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not to contradict Mooncarter, but I painted my frame and am very happy with it. I tried to clean it up since I knew that every time I lifted the seat I would want to see a neat and tidy area, and I was unable to get that by trying to clean the frame. I used a Hammertone paint it looks great in my opinion.

Have fun with it and make it yours! My cart was a beater and I was able to make it what I wanted and learned alot along the way (I will suggest that you use the site sponsors as much as possible to minimize problems-I wish I had and learned the hard way!).

Welcome to the page!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Not to contradict Mooncarter, but I painted my frame and am very happy with it. I tried to clean it up since I knew that every time I lifted the seat I would want to see a neat and tidy area, and I was unable to get that by trying to clean the frame. I used a Hammertone paint it looks great in my opinion.

Have fun with it and make it yours! My cart was a beater and I was able to make it what I wanted and learned alot along the way (I will suggest that you use the site sponsors as much as possible to minimize problems-I wish I had and learned the hard way!).

Welcome to the page!!
No contradiction, just my opinion. It's not gonna stay on that aluminum forever, then you have to re-do it or get it off of there.

I'm sure yours looks great!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to the forum.

My advice would be to follow the advice from long time members on here. If anything is unclear, ask more questions.

I would also recommend utilizing site sponsors when ever you are able to.

Also look up any ideas you have on here first, to reduce rookie mistakes. Many are chronicled on here and may keep you from buying parts that you don't need or that just won't work in your application.

So what is your plan to modernize the GC? What are you going to use it for?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Ffemt1974
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartCartCart View Post
Hello everyone,

C3
I have a an 87 that I stripped down to the frame. I started a post on my build. From what I can tell on the seats the bottom should fit however the back is different because of the seat back supports. You would have to modify the bracket or get the newer ds seatback supports.
I painted my frame but every time I wanted to add a bracket I had to clean it to weld on. The battery trays on that cart was my problem. I added in some angle and then had to move it once I bought batteries to make the hold down rods work.
Hope that helps some.
Ffemt1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
No contradiction, just my opinion. It's not gonna stay on that aluminum forever, then you have to re-do it or get it off of there.

I'm sure yours looks great!
I'm just too anal to lift my seat and look at a dirty frame (it really is a sickness!). Now I'm gonna worry about how long until I have until I have to pull this all apart and redo it again :(
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
CartCartCart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome!

Guess I'll hold off on painting the frame for now. Just pressure washed and soda's the battery area. And looks better now. Battery bay needs work, but have about 6' of 1/8 thick alum angle to rivet in so hopefully that goes smoothly.

As far as future plan:
ScottyB iq conversion kit and spartan body and light kt.
CartCartCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car