lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 g2 clutch and belt problems

hey guys this if my first time on a forum and i am really excited about my project car. I just got a 1987 yamaha g2 running and lifted for 400 bucks and drove it ten miles to my house to show my girlfriend. When i got there i looked at the engine and noticed i guess the main drive belt was completely sideways and thats how it runs. The belt is tore up but i did not notice the belt like that before i left. Is this a sign of a bad clutch or am i missing something? If it is what are good brands to purchase and do i get the front clutch and the back sheeths and a spring also? Sorry new to all this golf cart stuff so i am sure i am not using the correct terms. Does anyone have a service manual they will be willing to share over email. Its my title name @yahoo.com.... thanks everyone
consalvo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 1987 g2 clutch and belt problems

Clutches can wear holes in the sheaves, and the holes will tear the belt up. I get my belts at a local yami dealer, plenty of places online have them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

yea i understand that i was just wondering why the belt would turn sideways inside the sheeves. it looked like a new belt when i started
Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

share some pics of this mess Im interested in seeing that sideways belt.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

ok will get the camera later on when the old lady gets home.... Maybe we can figure out what kind this is too.. Has a trunk in the front and have not been able to find anyone else with one like it lol.. for 450 though not a bad deal with a lift kit already and ran fine. Drove it 10 miles to my house.. oh well just a tune up i guess...
Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I saw a trunk in the front of a Cart here i almost bought once.. It was a Western / Ezgo but the western body had a trunk under the hood in the front.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

yea this is a fiberglass front i think its custom made by yamaha i have the title and the vin matches 87 g2 thought someone else might have one. finally got it open today pretty cool i dig it.. the front all fiberglass and molds into plastic at the dash. tore the motor down today valves looked good just open up the zirc fitting on the rear sheeves and nothing but powder came out. i really need a service manual becouse i think i am going to have to tear this thing down and really go over everything been abused for twenty years lol. a little project for myself.. still thinks its a good deal for 45o though lol. If anyone has a service manual i would really appreciate one. thanks.. consalvo
Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If the rear(secondary) is binding bad the drive clutch will peal the belt onto its side and eat it up. Pull the driven(rear) (gota love all the names for the same doohicky) and take it down. Go to the the top and there are parts books.

the very last sticky by Sprid will get you there.

http://yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice/
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

you know doom i figured thats what it was i pulled off the zirc fitting and black powder came out.. actually just came back in from messing with it. figured the real sheeve wasnt sliding as it should and with no lube that would cause the belt to pull sideways. i was just about to rip into it when i called it a night. thanks bud will keep everyone posted tomorrow....
Old 12-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

hey guys just showing you my knew project here is the before pics going to redue the whole thing only thing slowing me down is the rear clutch sticking but going to rip that apart soon. I pulled the belt off and show you how it was completely flat. Also if you look at the front its a trunk really cool, can fit an 18 pack and ice i bet... hope you like consalvo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01208.jpg (89.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01214.jpg (61.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01216.jpg (104.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01209.jpg (53.4 KB, 29 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha