lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default cleaning contacts on wiper board

has anyone ever heard of using lectra-motive eletric parts cleaner on cleaning the contacts on a wiper board for a 1976 ezgo.This cleaner i got at napa auto parts says it cleans and degreases eletric motors,solenoids,commutators,starters,alternators, armatures,welders,coils,eletric tools,eletric cables,disrbutiors,and generators.was just wandering if i could clean my wiper arm and the contacts on the wiperboard with this. Or not chance it and just replace them.I tryed to clean them before and they seem to look like they are tarnished or something on them. The cart works ok but they are probbly org ones on cart.Thought i might try this on them to clean them what do ya'll think any more ideas. Thanks ezcome ezgo
ezcome ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cleaning contacts on wiper board

I have used similar products in the past. As the advertiser says "Results may vary". You could use it to clean out dirt and old grease, but to get the copper to shine again you need to get something a bit more abrasive, emory cloth or steel wool. Just make sure you have the batteries disconnected before you mess with any electrical contacts. Natural discoloration will occur while the cart is sitting unused, but it usually isn't damaging. Your wiper contacts only need to make a connection for the solenoids to operate, as long as they are, you should be fine.

If you have a couple of contactors that are severely worn and not making good contact, then they should be replaced, but if the cart operates properly, just clean them up and keep an eye on them.

Last edited by arcitech; 05-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Additional info.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hey thanks for the information.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome ezgo View Post
hey thanks for the information.
Glad to help, let us know how it goes and if the cleaner is worth it!
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
vponder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I used a Scotch bite sanding pad (maroon color) on my board with some Strike Hold gun cleaner and it worked perfect, you could actualy stand out side of the cart and tell the contacts were copper they were really dark before. Vince
vponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hey thanks where can i find this strike gun cleaner.sporting good place or gun shop??? Thanks again for the info ezcome ezgo.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I also use scotch bright pads red in color. i use them on every thing. When i replace bearing in motors, I use them to clean up the armature, contact boards like yours, starter/generator armatures. I would use that spray to remove the left over dust from cleaning. it will also remove any grease/oil that may be on the board.

Good luck.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

OK, I don't normally give away secrets but,

If you want to get copper back to the original patina with no rubbing, scraping, etc. etc. here ya' go.

Mix together white table vinegar and iodized (table) salt to make a paste. Or if parts are loose, just increase vinegar and dip the parts in the solution of vinegar/salt.

Apply to the copper or drop copper parts in the solution. The result is instantaneous and most are/will be amazed.

Some caveats:

You must rinse the parts after they are cleaned. Preferably with distilled water that you should have around anyway. If you don't rinse then the recently freed copper oxides will bond with the air (oxygen) and salt (chlorine) and the resulting blue/green stuff is called malachite. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Don't be dropping pennies dated after 1982 in to the solution. Pennies after 82 are zinc with a very thin cladding of copper. This solution eats zinc! Really. Leave a new penny in this stuff for awhile and you'll have a Swiss cheese penny anywhere the very thin copper cladding has been scratched, dinged, etched, etc.

If you don't have vinegar (acetic acid) on hand then use lime juice, lemon juice (citric acid) or heck, steal some juice out of the pickle jar (vinegar/salt/spices). The acids alone will clean copper effectively without the salt. The salt is just a catalyst that speeds up the process remarkably. Try it on one of the little woman's copper clad cooking pots. Well, maybe not unless you're OK with another entry on the "honey-do" list.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
ezcome ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey thank you very much for the info.And don't worry your seceret is safe with meI will try this and let ya know.Thanks again for the information Ezcome ezgo
Old 01-10-2024, 10:53 AM   #10
SteveO90290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Holy old thread revival!

Is there any reason to use something like die electric grease on the wiper board?

My cart has been getting a sticky gas pedal, and thought this might help.
SteveO90290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO