lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
jhix
Not Yet Wild

Default new guy. weird no power problem

Hi. New guy here.

I recently bought a used EZGO 95 TXT. Cart starts with no problem, however barely has enough power to move. Sounded loaded up. Spitting some fuel into carb box. Plugs looked rich. Went through valves per board directions. Checked compression = 140. Replaced spark plugs. Took off and cleaned carb. Still nogo.

Decided to look further into ignition. When checking for spark, here's the weird thing that happened... Removed plug closest to driver. Grounded to exhaust to watch for spark... Cart woke up. Sounded great with exception to firing only one cylinder.

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance! -- John
jhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new guy. weird no power problem

Is your exhaust stopped up?
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
jhix
Not Yet Wild

Anything is possible. A little worried about disconnecting as the manifold bolts look pretty well rusted. Don't want to get into a break, tap, replace bolts project if I can avoid.

Since both exhaust ports terminate to the same point, why do you the exhaust may be the culprit?

Thanks for helping me sort through this. I'll have some time this evening to troubleshoot further.

John
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhix View Post
Anything is possible. A little worried about disconnecting as the manifold bolts look pretty well rusted. Don't want to get into a break, tap, replace bolts project if I can avoid.

Since both exhaust ports terminate to the same point, why do you the exhaust may be the culprit?

Thanks for helping me sort through this. I'll have some time this evening to troubleshoot further.

John
As you say, anything is possible. There are many possibilities, but what lead me to this was the removal of the spark plug and your problem went away. I was thinking poss. exhaust blockage. Why? If it can't breathe it can't run. This could also cause it to belch gas. Spray the muffler bolts, let them sit a day or so and back em out to see if it helps. Easy and quick and it might just be your prob. Only reading symptoms this is my best guess so far but try it and the process of elimination can begin... Good Luck
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
jhix
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: new guy. weird no power problem

Got the exhaust off without any major issue. Soaked the bolts, then heated everything up.

No muffler = high revs and moocho power.

With muffler = loaded up, cart barely moves.

Will be BBQing the muffler tomorrow or cutting it up to clear out the debris.

Thanks for the help! It's nice having one less thing keeping me up at night :)

John
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Hey man, glad this fixed your prob. The robins engine has dual pistons that move and fire at the same time. When you removed a plug and ran it, the exhaust found a way to escape from both cylinders withount having to exit through the carb or the comp. stroke. therefore blowing gas out. It set off a light bulb when you wrote that it cleared up after you removed the plug. As far as muffler clearing, I dont know about BBQ on a four stroke. Mostly this happens on two stroke b/c oil in the gas mix gums up the muffler. Search the tech section and read BBQ' in mufflers to see. I would definitely bump and bang the muffler around to see if I could clear the obstruction. Maybe some compressed air. It may be the case the blockage can't be removed. Worst case, new muffler and site sponsors can help you with that.
Glad we could help!!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
jhix
Not Yet Wild

Update: Drilled out old muffler. Outside of sounding a little obnoxious, cart ran great.

Bought a used muffler from Scot (Essness), installed, much quieter and all is well. He cut me a great deal, and shipped it quick (Thanks Scot!).

Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions.

John
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

instead of drilling old muffler, you could have barbequed it (throw it in your trash can and burn the h*ll out of the sh*t inside).

but, being that you bought something from Ess, we coo
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #9
rib33024

jhix ----good to hear you found your problem and not to many$$$ to get it running, have fun with it, Ess is a good man ---but dont tell him I said that-

and good find on the clog--EZ go go--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the pat on the back guys, glad I could help. It makes it worth while to revive another ez go!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO