lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: axle bearing and seal replacement.

Okay coffee.

Remove the axle nut. Place the axle in the vice so the bearing surface is above the jaws. Tighten the vice. Put a light coat of light oil on the bearing surface. Place the new bearing on the axle, Place the old bearing on top of it. Slide the 3/4 pipe down on top of the axle and tap it with a small heavy hammer until the bearing reaches the seat area.

Observe there is not stop for the bearing & it can be driven too far. If this happens use the removal method to back it off. When the bearing is properly placed remove the pipe and old bearing and slide the axle into the tube.

If the new bearing resists insertion in the tube put the axle nut on backwards to protect the threads and tap the axle until the bearing just passes and exposes the C lip groove. Install C clip.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

another question. Is the standard EZGO replacement bearing kit 611931 the only option or is their a better bearing kit available? Just like in cars, are there good-better-best options?
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use 6004LL google it.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:39 PM   #14
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Others may disagree, but skip 30w, and go for 80w-90 gear lube. Quieter operation with good gear & bearing protection. My opinion is "flat plane" bearings want 30w, gears want "gear lube". Let the opinions fly.... I will add that ezgo has specified everything from "tractor fluid" to "30w" to "somethingW-140" in the same dana axle they have used for years. The gears & bearings have not changed much.
And yet again we agree. I run 75/90 Synthetic GL5 in all mine. They run smooth as butter. As for a press substitute, a 3/4 inch socket works wonders. Just make sure you don't do it to a point that you break your socket. But I have done hundreds and I still use the same socket to this day.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Great information in this thread. Should be a sticky/reference up at the top of the page. I'm sure there will be more who want to do this job but don't have a press and/or slide hammer to work with.

Good stuff.....
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #16
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just wanted to add. I ran into some trouble trying to get the oil seal out, and I don't have a puller. So, I carefully drilled two pilot holes, 180 degrees apart, on the face of the seal. I then inserted two screws, and pulled on the heads with vice grips. On the drivers side, this worked and the seal came right out.

On the passenger side, I had to also very carefully strike the ID of the seal with a flat head screw driver, again 180 degrees apart, to buckle the seal. It than came out no problem when I pulled on the screws.

The key is to not mare the ID of the tube when doing all this. If you do, you need to smooth it out so there is no burr protruding. This can be done with a file, sandpaper, or a stone.
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #17
mh0384
Not Yet Wild

i was hoping this had the info I needed, but it doesn't seem to...

what do you guys use to remove the bearing? a slide hammer with a hook type tool on the end? also whats required in removing the axle shaft itself??
mh0384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

mh0384
A small slide hammer with a hook removes the seal the best, there are other methods in the posts directly before your question. The axle will usually just slide out in the case where it is stuck I use a small slide hammer with an axle nut welded onto it so I can screw this onto the axle and pull.

Welcome to BGW
Old 06-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
mh0384
Not Yet Wild

thanks scotty, I have a 1996 TXT, does that axle definitely slide out with no c-clip inside the diff?? I remember sliding it back and forth with my fingers but it stopped after an inch or so

I think what I meant to ask was... will a slide hammer with a hook be able to remove just the bearing? I see there are 2 snap rings, 1 on each side of the bearing... it just makes me wonder if there is enough to grab...
mh0384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
Sid007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I use 6004LL google it.
Scottyb is dead on, as usual. I found this part today at my local NAPA parts store---exact replacement!

The key to the proper part is the four-digit number---6004---since you might find it with other than the LL identifier of Scotty's part. For example, the part I bought today ended in RS. No problem.

Sid007
Sid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO