lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
jdrmm8400
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Accelerator response issue

I have a 1981 EZ-Go that I just got. When the accelerator is pushed to the floor, the cart will start off very slow, a noise that sounds like a spark happens, then the cart takes off. It does not do this consistently. I tried to clean the rust from the connections but did not help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
jdrmm8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
edu01jose
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Accelerator response issue

The sound is coming out when you touch the pedal a little or when it's fully depressed?
edu01jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
jdrmm8400
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The sound is created when the pedal is depressed most of the way down. It sounds as if something is sparking.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Put the cart on jack stands and open up the battery bay. With key OFF and FNR in Neutral, press the accelerator and watch how the wiper arm moves across the contacts on the accelerator board. Now that you see how it works, turn the key on, FNR in F or R and watch the wiper as well as the FNR switch while you try to replicate and localize the arcing sound. Once you localize it you've most likely found the issue. I'll go ahead and guess you have some contacts arcing in one or the other locations.

Good luck.

NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE MOTOR TO RUN WIDE OPEN WHILE ON JACK STANDS. AN ELECTRIC MOTOR WITHOUT A LOAD WILL INCREASE RPM'S UNTIL IT EXPLODES.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
jdrmm8400
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There is definitely sparks or arching when the wiper moves from the 3rd to 4th contact. I don't see any broken wires or wires or contacts touching each other. I did notice that one of the terminals on the what I believe to be the solonoid was very hot. Most of the wires have some bare wire showing. Don't know what else to do.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
edu01jose
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Clean up all the contacts. Make sure they don't have corrosion on them. You can also buy the battery terminal cleaner that should take anything off them.
-ed
edu01jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

check the contacts on the board. over time the copper is worn down and will deform and the two contacts will start to touch each other.
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
jdrmm8400
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all of the help. I cleaned all contacts, replaced wires and then decided to replace solenoid. As of right now (fingers crossed) I have no sparks or sparking noise. Seems to run a little slow, but I have seen from other posts that this may be normal.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
jdrmm8400
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. Now I am getting really frustrated. Went out this morning to test, and same issue. I can't find a wiring diagram for my 1981 textron. I need to know if the wiper wire goes on the FNR side of the solenoid or on the 1st contact of the speed control panel of the solenoid. It does have 3 resistors. Some wiring diagrams show the wiper cable on one side, some show the other. BTW, the solenoid has a "BAT" and an arrow on it. Does it pertain to this particular cart? Any help would be appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO