lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
putman
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 EZGO leaking oil in wheel near lug nuts

Oil located in rear wheel near lug nuts. I had just rode for several miles in 100 deg heat. Parked cart and notice oil near lug nuts. Clean the oil up and tried to located leak. Nothing.Rode for several more miles next morning and saw no additional oil leakage. When I retrun home I took the wheel off and remove hub to expose brakes. There was no sign of oil, no oil trail nowhere. Just blew my mine. Just knew I was going to find a leaking seal. Lots of brake dust around wheel spindle that would have shown an oil trail but there was nothing.
Where could this oil have come from?
What kind of oil or lube is in my rear end and how do you check the level?
putman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 EZGO leaking oil in wheel near lug nuts

Your differential only holds about 600-900ml of 30wt non-detergent motor oil (depending on year). This small amount of oil is well below the axel line and only allows the ring gear to sling oil up the intermediate and input shaft gears. It is not likely that the oil is from the differential. Perhaps you parked it where oil was already exists (lawnmower ???) or it is from another source and splashed on the wheel. How much oil was it?? The carts that I have seen that leak (very few) it is only noticed around the axel shaft bearing that is located in the axel housing at the end by the hub and is usually absorbed by brake dust.
There is not a really good way to check the level other than by draining, cleaning cover and housing areas, reseal with RTV, and then add new oil.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO