lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
labloverdc
Not Yet Wild

Default Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

I'm considering buying an inexpensive ($900) used EZ-Go cart. The seller doesn't know much about it--even the year or the model, but from the picture it looks like a 90's or 2000's model that's in pretty good shape. He says it runs good, has forward and reverse, etc. However, he recently installed (3) 12 volt batteries instead of the original (6) 6 volt ones, and claims that works fine. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether that will work out in the long run? What are the disadvantages; are there any advantages? Any advice would be appreciated. If it helps, the cart will not get heavy use; mostly it will be used to putt around a small, level community on paved streets. Thanks, Shannon
labloverdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

Sure...it'll work just won't have very long run time and you'll replace them more often. They will actually cost more in he long run than just buying the right batteries.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just to elaborate on roady's answer
From my notepad:

3/12v = 36v?
Or can I use 3 12v batteries in my 36v golf cart?
You can use 3/12v batteries in series to create a 36v power supply. However this supply will be lacking in amperage capacity and deep cycle ability. The result will be poor run time and shortened battery lifetime.
The batteries should be golf cart specific batteries.
Golf cart batteries are designed to hold a large amount of amperage and to be discharged relatively deeply as opposed to the shallow discharge and immediate replenishing routine of cranking batteries.

Automotive batteries do not store as much amperage and are designed for shallow discharge and immediate recharge. Like starting a car and having the alternator immediately begin charging.
You can connect 3 automotive 12v batteries in series and get 36v. You will not the amperage reserve or operational characteristics needed to make the batteries perform well or last satisfactorily in a golf cart.

I hope this helps ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
97fordman
Getting Wild

I got a question my dad has 4/12volt batteries in his club car. Now they guy said they were golf cart batteries. Just trying to understand
97fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fordman View Post
I got a question my dad has 4/12volt batteries in his club car. Now they guy said they were golf cart batteries. Just trying to understand
There are 12 volt golf cart batteries. Thats what you have (probably) The 12 volts the OP is talking about are either Automotive type starting batteries or Marine type. Marine "deep cycle" are not true deep cycle batteries. They are a hybrid cross between a starting battery and a true deep cycle. Again, Three 12 volts will work, I've done it myself, they just dont last as long both in run time and replacement time.. These guys who swear buy 12 volt auto batteries never come back to back up their claims. (cause they don't work like they thought)

If I was in a bind I'd use them and have used them in the past. I've used them to make sure something runs too before bying a whole set of Golf cart batteries. Again, they just don't last as long.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

Even the newer 12 volts that Club Car started using are giving them a fit. They are rumored to be headed back to 6 volts or 8 volts in the near future!
You can run the cart as is and I would suggest charging it every night and when these batteries give up then buy the right ones for it. The dealer should make you a very good price on it since it hasn't gotten the correct batteries installed!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Advantages: Unless you can get car batteries for free, no advantage.

Disadvantages:
- Less run time

- They will not tolerate discharging abuse as well as deep cycle

- Therefore you have to monitor their voltage at all times

- Charger designed to charge ~220 A/h batteries so it will cook the 50-60 A/h car batteries unless charging is monitored and shut down when charge is complete for these small batteries!

Having said all that, I AM running car batteries in my cart but I doubled up their capacity by parallel pairing up 2 and I also run twice the voltage ( 72 V)by having 6 of these pairs in series with the appropriate controller which further cuts the amperage abuse in half.

I also run voltage monitors and I do not charge them unattended!!!

It's not for everybody.

I recommend the correct golf cart batteries when it's time for a new set!
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

I ran 6 of these (72 volts) in the old Mud Buggie for 3 years. They ran like they were meant for the cart. I rode this cart hard for days at the beach and it never had a battery problem other than having to charge them up every night. I competed in the 2nd Bonanza with it with no problems. I still have 2 of those 12 volts today working in my enclosed trailer for 12 volt lights.

That being said I would recommend 6 volts as they should be.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Andy that's cool! They look pretty hefty and they are deep cycle!

To tell you the truth I'm running my double car batteries for years and they ALL came from the junk pile. I recently had to replace 2 sets ( with more used ones) but who knows how old they were before I got them.

The point is if they are well taken care of,they will work but the average golf cart user will not want to do all this baby sitting and I understand that.
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

Yes your right. Most want.

I did it for the room and the quick fix of 72 volts.
I could literally rip the axle out of it numerous times when I felt like it.

Tags
12 volt batteries, battery conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO