lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
oook, you asked for it. Now you won't have to do anything special to format it. Gotta go. Be back monday.

Thanks,
Have a great Sunday!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #22
labloverdc
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

Wow, what a great forum! Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information. We're going to look at the cart this morning, and if we get it I'll post how it works out. I'm pretty convinced that in the long run, i'll be getting the proper batteries. However, this cart is a replacement for a cart (a California Roadster, currently broken) that is included for use at a vacation rental property, and if I don't get something quickly, i will lose a confirmed rental which will cost me about $400 in lost rent. So, if it gets me by for a few weeks, at $900 (or perhaps a little less), I hope to not go too far wrong. Plus the cart has kind of a neat, Model T style front end (homemade, but I still like it), and if it othewise seems to work welll, I wouldn't mind putting some $$ into proper batteries.

Not to hijack my own thread, but the California Roadster went down in large part due to a bad cable and battery, which prompted (unbeknownst to me), some genius renter to "fix it' by installing a 6 volt replacement battery in the 48 volt bank. I was out of town, buit was told by the property manager that he was "very experienced with golf cars and an excellent mechanic." Right..... Now it appears that both the motor and controller are toast, so I'm sure I will be posting for advice on how to tackle that repair when get around to it. Thamks again for everybody's input.
labloverdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
labloverdc
Not Yet Wild

Well, it turned out the cart was pretty rough. The only good thing about it was the front end. Sadly, the seller also mislead me. He told me there were 3 NEW batteries. Turns out they were 3 new USED batteries. Worse, they were just cheap car batteries, and were not matched in size or brand. The cart topped out at about 9 mph, and felt like it was slowing down after a few hundred yards. It also rattled and shuddered down the road. So, we passed on that deal, and it's back to the drawing board. I don't want to spend too much, because I hope to get the California Roadster running again soon. At least I got a nice battery education thanks to the Forum!
labloverdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

You never know until you see them in person.
I have had people tell me there is nothing wrong with the cart over the phone. When I show up it's missing parts and who knows what else!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
djhartley2003
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I want to make sure that I understood this correctly. I'm asking NOT telling. 12 Volt car batteries could be used if your in a jam or lets say to test cart operation? If so will the golf cart battery charger work to charge them? I'm asking because the batteries I have in my cart are completely shot. I need to get new ones but I'm also not done with my build so it wont get used for a while still. Would it work if I needed to test it as I'm building. I have access to them for free. I'm talking about driving it around the culdesac.
djhartley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scottyb had responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
[COLOR=Blue]3/12v = 36v?
Or can I use 3 12v batteries in my 36v golf cart?
You can use 3/12v batteries in series to create a 36v power supply. However this supply will be lacking in amperage capacity and deep cycle ability. The result will be poor run time and shortened battery lifetime.
72volt responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72volt_ezgo View Post
- Charger designed to charge ~220 A/h batteries so it will cook the 50-60 A/h car batteries unless charging is monitored and shut down when charge is complete for these small batteries!
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

If you are wanting to use them for testing the answer is yes.
With that said you want just turn the charger on and walk away from it like normal.
If you use a 12 volt charger it will have to be used in pairs of two.
A normal car battery want handle the charge rate that the normal golf cart charger put's to them.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #28
seeyaby
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok i have a dumb ?
i have a wakeboard boat and i am adding some amps and
speakers. Will 12 v golf cart batteries work better than just a
Deep cycle battery ?
seeyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #29
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Going from (6) 6 volt batteries to (3) 12 volt

It depends on the battery. Another issue is how much room do you have for the batteries. 1-12 volt is less room than 2-6volts. If you have plenty of room then it want matter. If you plan to use regular car 12 volts then yes the 6 volt golf cart batteries would be a better bet. A 12 volt deep cycle marine battery would work fine also. Any of them will be fine as long as you have a good charger to keep them going.
Or
You can buy the Odyssey 12 volts Deep cycle. I have a set of 680's & 925's. Some say 12 volts (car Batteries) want work but I can assure you these do. These aren't normal 12 volt car batteries. These are the batteries all the racers are using in the drag racing cars & carts for the amp's and able to discharge more out of them without hurting the battery. They also weigh about 14 lbs.
I have 3 of my 680's in my monster cart now for all the 12 volt stuff.
These batteries get the job done but you pay more for them.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #30
reinman88
Gone Wild

I'm picking up an older, 78 maybe, cart this weekend with bad batteries. While doing some work on it, this would be the perfect time to just use 3 12 volt batteries that we have on hand. This way we can make sure it's working properly and going to be worth spending money for 6 new 6 volt batteries.

But I do want to be certain on one thing. If we use 3 12 volt batteries, can we use the 36 volt charger to charge them?

I figure if we can, we probably won't want to walk off an leave it, but rather let them charge for a few hours and disconnect the charger. Or am I mistaken about that?

If we cannot use the 36 volt charger, would we have to disconnect the batteries from each other to charge them with a normal battery charger? We have 3 chargers on hand, so we could charge each one separately and do them all at the same time.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt batteries, battery conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO