lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

I'm hoping you are right. When Vic built my motor for the old Mud Buggie it was a 72 volt. torque motor. The reason I'm bringing this up is I had a 4600RPM motor in it before and I had stock gears in the cart. It did fine for 2 weeks of testing it out in front of the house. Just short quick trips. I was told to watch the RPM's by them and Robby @ PQ. One night as I was checking some more mods out to it, I drove it all the way out to the end of the road, coming back I blew a hole the size of your thumb threw the back side of the motor. That's when I went to the torque motor from Vick at D&D. The high speed motor was over reved on stock gears. My fault and no one was to blame but me. I'm hoping they have figured out a way to do this. I really want to build a 72 volt sleeper for the beach next summer.
Mine may have been the voltage to I can't say for sure. It was a 48 volt motor running on 72.
Robby & Carson had it as a door stop at the shop for a long time after that.
I went for 2 loops in the road when it blew. 4 nice rear tire skid marks in the road. It wasn't so funny then but now I wished I'd had a video of it.
They do build some nice motors don't they!

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

You bring up a good point about high speed motor failure... I hope Terry is belting himself into a rollcage.
Motor failure at 45MPH could be very dangerous.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

The high speed motor was over reved on stock gears

This is my exact point and is exactly why I'm doing this. The motor will turn considerably less rpm's with the high speed gears at my target cruising speed. The end result should be that I lower the rpms by about 2000 rpms vs the same speed with the stock gears. There will be a point that the motor/controller/battery combination will run out of power to push the cart faster with the higher gear. What speed that is is still to be determined and I absolutely do plan to ring it out to see what it will do top end but I don't predict that I'll be doing any donuts and if I die during the experiment...I know where I'm going.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

I was lucky at the time that it didn't flip. I think some of it was because of the rear wheels. The rest was just luck!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
jonequest
Gone Wild

I will be watching this thread. I think that may be a great combo for safe cruising speed and the once or twice a year "look I can do 45 if I really want to".
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

45mph in a golf cart is just crazy, Terry is just trying to get out doing 30 more years of work (snort)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
I will be watching this thread. I think that may be a great combo for safe cruising speed and the once or twice a year "look I can do 45 if I really want to".
Congratulations!! You have got it my friend. That is the intent of this entire deal.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
45mph in a golf cart is just crazy, Terry is just trying to get out doing 30 more years of work (snort)
LOL....perhaps.

This is how I look at it...seriously....

I spent years tournament fishing in which I went 85 mph in a boat in the pitch black dark with nothing more than a blip on a GPS screen to guide me with no possible way to know if there was anything in the water that might kill me. I've gone well over 100 mph on motorcycles down highways full of semi's and such. I've flown dirt bikes 20 feet into trees and had them come crashing down on me, I've ran my hand thru my tablesaw etc... so comparing all of those "hobbies" to what I aspire to now, 45 mph on a golf cart sounds fairly safe to me.

and let me add...it sounds fairly safe compared to all of those other things to my wife too. She just said "Whatever" when I told her what I was doing to the cart. LOL.....
Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Cool Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

I'm hoping it does. I have been wanting a sleeper at the beach for awhile. The only thing is I want mine on 72 volts though!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm hoping it does. I have been wanting a sleeper at the beach for awhile. The only thing is I want mine on 72 volts though!
See...you are more nuts than me even..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO