lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Town777
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ GO Electric Cart Clicks but NO movement Forward or Reverse!!

Good Day!
I have a late 90s electric EZ GO cart and it normally operates fine. I have charged the batteries and went to take it out. It clicks but NO movement forward or reverse. I have a switch under the flap, above the batteries that is used for ON and OFF. Not sure if that was a problem so, I disconnected it from the switch and twisted the wires together. Still nothing!!

I have not LOAD tested the batteries yet but just cannot believe that it wont even make an effort to move. I cannot believe that the batteries would be that dead. They are probably about 6 years old, TROJANS. I would love to hear somebody with experience, take me thru a list of steps to determine this problem. Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing back from somebody. Take care!

Town
Town777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Electric Cart Clicks but NO movement Forward or Reverse!!

We need to identify what kind of EZGO cart you have to get into detailed troubleshooting, but there are a couple things that apply to all types.

What is the battery pack voltage? (For a 36V system, 38.22V is fully charged.)
What are the individual battery voltages? (6.37 is a fully charge for a 6V battery)

There should be a letter and number stamped into the Negative terminal of the Trojan batteries. Letter is the month and number is the last digit of the year.

If the solenoid is clicking when it should, the problem is in the high current circuit or throttle circuit, but need to which type drive to go further.
Here's a drawing to help you ID what type drive you have. If it is pre-2000, it either be a DCS or Series type.

Also, plug your cart's serial number in here and it will tell you what it is. http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Town777
Not Yet Wild

Hello,
Thanks for your time and interest with me. I looked up my cart and the serial # is 2220319. This is a 2004 TXT Standard. I looked at the chart you sent and it seems to have a direction selector switch that is connected to a bar that goes to a small plastic compartment under the passengers seat. This bar moves the controller in the box. There are NO wires behind the handle that you move for reverse or forward, it is all mechanical. So, with that being said, I would say that it is a Sepex DCS? I can take a pic if you wish. Other than that it is a 36VDC unit and was bought from a golf course. Unit is really in great shape. I just need to start with the basics, batteries and such. Let me know your thoughts on where to start or what you could share with me. Thanks Johnnnie B.

Town
Old 09-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You've got a 2004 TXT cart with a series wound motor, or a 04-TXT-Series written in shorthand.
You can download the Owner, Service and Parts manuals from the stickies at the top of the Electric EZGO forum.
They are the three .pdf files in this sticky. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Get a DMM (Digital Multi Meter), if you don't have one. An inexpensive one in a blister package at your local auto parts or discount store will suffice.

It was working, but now it isn't.

You said the solenoid clicks when you push the throttle pedal, so the problem is in the High Current circuit.

You mentioned something about a switch under a flap that turns it on and off. That doesn't sound anything that I know of, so it might be something added to confuse thieves. A picture would help figure that one out.

What is the battery pack voltage? (Should be 38.2 for fully charged batteries)
What are the individual battery voltages? (Should be 6.37V at full charge and spread between highest and lowest should be 0.1V or less)

Take the environmental cover off the controller and attach your DVM to the terminals on the controller marked B- and M-.
You should measure full battery pack voltage when solenoid first clicks.
If not, you've got a bad cable, or connection, or contact someplace between M- and the Positive terminal on the Right-Front battery.
Here's a schematic with the High Current circuit traced.

Note: With a series wound motor, there is a single current path through everything, including the battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- Hi-Current traced.JPG (59.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Town777
Not Yet Wild

Johnnie,
thanks for all of the help. I actually got it to move, but it seems to be intermittent. Not sure about some of the connections. Anyway, it looks like the switch I was talking about is indeed a theft device. When it is in the OFF position, the solenoid will NOT click. When it is in the ON position the solenoid clicks. It looks like somebody has cut into the control power to the solenoid. Kind of crafty, but I do not think that is the problem.

I cleaned all battery posts and connections. I load tested batteries individually after they were disconnected from series in cart. I read mostly a bit above 6VDC and when I put 100 A load for about fifteen seconds, pretty much all dropped to about 5 VDC and stayed there. I do not think that is the problem either. Although, they are getting old and should be looked at in the near future.

After a full charge, and checking the wiring under both covers, I attempted the movement again and yes it did move. So, it seems like there is a bad connection or something that is not right under those covers. All look clean and free of corrosion. The wiring that go to the control box look like brand new. It must be what delivers the power in stages to the motor, because the solenoid clicks EVERYTIME. Maybe the speed control is going? I will do what you say in the previous reply from you. But, if you can think of anything else from what I am sending you now, please let me know. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend and holiday!

Respectfully,
Town
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Town777
Not Yet Wild

Maybe the pedal box malfunctioning? Can the solenoid click and the pedal box be faulty at the same time? HMMM?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Like Johnnie B was asking we need to know your pack voltage and individual battery voltages. If they are any under 6 volts it is probably your batteries. Fully charged is about 6.4v each. We cant move on or give you a direction to go until we know voltages.
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just because the solenoid clicks, does not mean it's working! When your cart won't run, try jumping the two large terminals on the solenoid and see if it will run then. If it does, replace your solenoid. Mine had intermittent running once. It turned out to be the solenoid. Mine would click with each push of the pedal too!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Town777
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys,
I removed both covers and checked all connections. I looked at the inductive plunging unit under the floor mat and checked connections there. I tried to run it once again and yes it is operating fine. I think that there is a wiring issue. Maybe a loose connection? I put the forward/reverse selector cover back on and the environment cover back on and the cart quit working again. I removed them and checked wiring once again and the cart operates. I will go thru all connections and verify that they are good. Thanks for your input. The guy who asked about the battery readings, look above. I listed voltages and load testing readings in a previous post.

Town
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would jack the rear wheels up off the ground while it's not working, key on, pedal depressed, and wiggle some wires and connections to see if you can figure out where it's losing it. I had one doing that one time that was losing connection at the molex plug by the controller. I did what I said and when I wiggled that connection it started working. So I unplugged it and cleaned it really well and bent the prongs in the plug a little and plugged it back together. Never had another problem with it.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO