lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Default Pulling Trailers?

I have had several people ask me what it would take to have their golf carts pull small trailers (by small, I mean 1500lbs or less). I know obviously a stock pds is not the way to go but could even a series cart handle this? Would upgrading to a high amp alltrax, hd solenoid, (beefed up f&r for series), and thicker wires be enough to eliminate heat issues from pulling a trailer around? Any input would be appreciated. Obviously gas is their best option but im curious to know what it would take to have an electric one do the job and still be reliable.
gotmud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Pulling Trailers?

I pull a trailer with my '97 DCS with an Alltrax DCX400. I would try it with a series cart. The main thing is to apply power and not let the motor stall. If it stalls you could damage the motor or controller.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
dvmartin
Getting Wild

We pull our sailplanes with both series and DCS, max weight around 1000# on a grass airfield and both types seem to work just fine. Most of the towing is at walking speed and they have worked fine for over 5 years. I have installed #4 cables and heavy duty F&R.
dvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Here is a completely stock PDS cart pulling a little over 3400 lbs.
While I wouldn't recommend this on a daily basis, this was my dad's cart and he thinks nothing of hooking his cart to anything that needs moving.
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Wow I wouldve never guessed it was capable of that! Ive seen gas workhorses pull stuff like that but never an electric cart. Thanks for yalls input...its much appreciated! keep it coming. Id like to see what other people have done or tried.
gotmud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

An 800 pound golf cart or even a 1000 pound golf cart pulling a 3500 pound trailer is equivalent of a pickup truck pulling 17,500 trailer.
Even a 1500 pound trailer is equivalent to a pickup with a 7500 pound trailer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What's the truck equivalent of an electric cart dragging an 8k platform pump from one railcar to the next? Again, probably inadviseable at best, but it got the job done.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have pulled a 23 foot camper and an 19 foot cherry picker(with 50 ft reach). It is all about tongue weight.....
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
davet
Gone Wild

Club Car

We have alot of people who put their jet skis in and out all day long at the beach with a variety of differant carts.I'm not sure on weight or the incline of the ramp.The series carts seem to do better the PDS need a little help the lifted carts struggle,all of which is understandable.We used to have trailer rental here at work and I moved everything around with a stock series 3 wheeler for years.Dave
davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

For safety considerations don't forget about the brakes. Pulling a heavy load down an an incline will the brakes work? Just something to keep in mind.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO