lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charging Help Needed

I have a 99' CC DS Series cart 48v.
I recently installed an Alltrax 500amp controller. Everything is/was fine after that. Last night i installed all new 4ga wires thruout the entire cart (13 total) and now the orange rectangle battery light comes on for a couple seconds and then goes off and repeats this and never goes away.

When i also plug the charger into the charging port, the charger will click on for maybe 5-10 seconds, it then surges and then shuts off and the orange rectangle light on dash comes on.

I checked the controller and i am getting 7 green blinks followed by the green staying on. The cart runs and drives fine. What is causing this all of a sudden? It seems that the orange light is trying to tell me something but i am stumped....

One thing i will note. The battery lugs i used for the entire cart are 5/16th. Even at the forward/reverse switch, on the 2 smaller ports. I can move the wires up and down and the screws are tight. Could i not have a tight connection there? I have read that the F/R switch carries the current thru it on the CC's.

Sorry for the long winded post but need some help here! My new motor/solenoid is "Supposedly" coming today and i want to figure this orange light/charging issue out before i do any damage to the cart.
904polarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging Help Needed

. . . did you route the main negative cable thru the OBC? . . . all connections should be clean and tight . . . loose connections anywhere are going to be problematic . . . the flashing battery light is an indication that the charger and OBC are having issues of some sort, ie, incomplete charge cycle, charger malfunction, etc . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took off one cable at a time and replaced it so that i wouldnt have any confusion.

Also, what is the OBC? On Board Computer? Where is it located and look like?

After a quick research, i did not replace any wires passing thru the OBC

I replaced all wires connecting batteries, main negative from battery post to controller, main postive from battery post to solenoid, short yellow from controller to solenoid, wire from solenoid to F/R switch and 4 wires coming off the motor
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well..... After some more reading, the OBC is what appears to be some foam covered box thing attached to the heat shield.

As i was trying to push my premade negative wire thru the hole in the obc, it wouldnt fit so i drilled the hole out to get the negative wire thru.

Looks like i may have trashed my OBC. So what are my options now? Do 1999 club car Series carts have an OBC
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904polarized View Post
Well..... After some more reading, the OBC is what appears to be some foam covered box thing attached to the heat shield.

As i was trying to push my premade negative wire thru the hole in the obc, it wouldnt fit so i drilled the hole out to get the negative wire thru.

Looks like i may have trashed my OBC. So what are my options now? Do 1999 club car Series carts have an OBC
. . . you broke your on board computer . . . shop for new one or eliminate it and purchase different charger for cart . . .
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It looks like that cheap wire set is gonna cost you an OBC and what's this about the F&R lug connectors all having 5/16ths holes? The two swivel connections are small stud connections. Sloppy connections will cause problems like arcing which causes heat which will burn or melt the F&R terminal and cable connections

I use small terminal connectors even on my big 2g sets for the CC HD F&R and a stud kit and 2 cables for the OBC connection.

Sometimes the cheapest game in town isn't the cheapest. Dang.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well then i guess this brings me to my next question(s)

Where do i find the best deal on a OBC or Automatic Charger?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . ScottyB can hook you up with a new charger if you want to eliminate the OBC . . . OBC prices are available for various prices, depending on where you shop . . just make sure the numbers are identical to the one you replace . . .

Example:

Check Part Number

Example 2:

Check Part Number 2
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
904polarized
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty, PM Sent
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

replied
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car