lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default Have to pull choke for better take off 1988 marathon

So I about got the cart all ready just this one small nagging issue. It is a dog on the take off. First it is very cold blooded but does snap out of it around 5 minutes but I need to constantly feather the choke as I go on a cold engine. The annoying part is how sluggish it is on take off. however if I just pull the choke out for a second and push right back in right away it takes off great. So easy fix right. I have a air/fuel problem. I rebuilt this engine a couple years ago and the compression is good and strong same with the spark. I can't for the life of me find a air fuel mixture screw on this carb. All I see is a fixed jet on the very top of the carb. No jam nut screw or anything like I have read on some other pages. I understand one could get a bigger pilot jet as it is obviously lacking fuel on 0 to 1/4 throttle but if everything is all stock I should not need a pilot change. My only other possible guess is my fuel mixture. the reason for the rebuild is a failed oil pump so I decided to premix my own. I mix at 80:1 and I am reading that you can go as lean as 128:1 which I don't feel all that comfortable doing. I may consider 100:1. Is it possible too strong of a premix can cause the lagging take off? Thanks for the help.
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: Have to pull choke for better take off 1988 marathon

I notice on mine that when I tried to set my pump with a bit more oil injection that I get a less responsive engine. You may just have to much oil mix but not sure. Try a change. I am going to set my cart back to the 1/16th" above mark as soon as I get a new or fab up a linkage rod to pump. Mine has bad threads and I have to have it shorter for now thus giving me a bit more injection oil.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a dirty carb. Take it off and clean it real good with compressed air and carb cleaner. The correct mixture is 128:1. I run mine at 100:1 without the governor hooked up.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
cwinkslinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Have to pull choke for better take off 1988 marathon

Speaking of fuel starvation...you might check to see if you have enough flow from the fuel pump to the carb..
cwinkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO