lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
mbtex33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1998 EZGO No Go

Hello All, Nice site and a lot good of info here. Newbie to electric golf carts and to Buggies Gone Wild.
I have a 1998 Ezgo 36volt series L498 that the solenoid clicks when accelerator is pressed and not going anywhere, forward or reverse. Theres a little sticker on side of cart that says Freedom if that matters. Voltage coming off all batteries after charger turns off is 38.5. The controller was changed out last year, seems like the same problem but want to make sure before driving 40 miles.
I searched the site for troubleshooting controller and came up with a thread "ezgo controller testing" that kingcobra made and JohnnieB commented on. I gave it a try. First I charged batteries fully put the cart on stands off ground. Checked voltage of pack of batteries 38.5, checked voltage across B- and M- post got 33.2, pressed pedal then voltage went up to 38.5.
Not sure if I'm even doing right test. I know just enough to get me in trouble.
mbtex33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZGO No Go

You are doing okay so far.

The solenoid clicking when it should indicates the problem is in the high current circuit. (Highlighted on attached schematic)

Getting full pack voltage between B- and M- when solenoid first clicks indicates there is continuity in the high current circuit.
When you press the pedal slowly to the floor, the voltage should smoothly decrease from full pack voltage to near zero.
If it doesn't, it pretty much narrows it down to either a bad controller or a bad ITS (throttle).

To check ITS measure the voltage on controller Pin-2.
It should be above 14V and less than 15V.

If it is good, measure the voltage on controller Pin-1.
With pedal pushed only until solenoid clicks, it should be 0.4V to 0.6V.
With pedal on floor, it should be 1.5V to 1.7V

If ITS checks out as good, the controller is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- Hi-Current traced.JPG (59.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
mbtex33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK Let me get this straight.
To check pin 2
Positive lead on pin 2
Negative lead on ground, negative side of battery.Correct?
Gotta remember I'm learning so please forgive my ignorance.
If it is then this is what I got.
Pin 2 when solenoid clicks puts out 9.57 then goes down to 6.56
Checked pin 1 for the heck of it.
Could not get 0.4-0.6
When solenoid click it almost immediately went to 1.47 and up to 2.42 when pressed to floor.
I'm guessing I need to look for a ITS?
Thanks JohnnieB

Last edited by mbtex33; 09-03-2013 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Add note
Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I take it the voltage between B- and M- didn't decrease when pedal was pressed to floor.

The way you measured the voltage at Pin-2 was correct.
It was less than 14V, so it failed the test.

The next step is to separate the inline connector going to the pedal box under the floorboard.
That will disable the pedal switch also, so you will have the use a jumper wire between the main positive terminal on the battery pack and the solenoid's small terminal with the red wires attached, to activate solenoid.

Now the voltage on Pin-2 should measure 14V.
If it does, the ITS sensor is bad.
If it doesn't the controller is bad.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
mbtex33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK
Disconnected foot pedal, jumped positive side to solenoid and I got 13 volts at pin 2.
So, since it is below 14 volts it is the controller?

Last edited by mbtex33; 09-04-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Wrong place
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That would be my guess.

Since the stock controller only lasted a year, it would probably be a good idea to put something a bit heavier in.

The stock controller is designed to haul two golfers and their clubs over groom cart trails on 18" tall tires and if you are doing more than that, you need to upgrade the drive system to meet your needs.

Perhaps an Altrax AXE400 (or bigger).

There is a pretty good overview of how to determine what needs to be done to meet the needs of whatever you want to do with your cart on this website: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
mbtex33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well took it to the man and yep the controller is dead. Found the culprit, the motor is a high speed motor. The guy told me to change motor to high torque lower speed and of course got to get new controller.
Any recommendations on motor and controller pair? This cart is used for off road slow cruising dirt and grass roads carting deer feed.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Talk to the guys at Plum Quick and/or D&D for the motor.

I got all my upgrades except tires and batteries though scottyb at Carts Unlimited.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
mbtex33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would anybody recommend changing from high speed motor or just get a better controller? I have upgraded F/R switch to heavy duty, and cables.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtex33 View Post
Would anybody recommend changing from high speed motor or just get a better controller? I have upgraded F/R switch to heavy duty, and cables.
Personally, I'd toss an AXE500 (or SPM500) with a Super-Duty solenoid (400A/1000A) into it and see if the existing high speed motor would do what you want to do.

If it didn't, I'd get on the horn to D&D and let them come up with something that met your needs.

Tags
1998, controller, ezgo, freedom, series
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO