lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #1
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Quirky Problem - Need Diagnostic Help

You guys helped me get this 36v TXT going several months ago when I thought I bought a used lemon. It has been working flawlessly since fixing the pedal micro switch - thanks to you.

I have sold it, to a friend - to be delivered next week. And thanks to Murphy's Law, I experienced a problem today. It started acting like the charge was gone. So I plugged it in.

After a fresh charge it would still only start slowly, almost not at all. Then when I got it going (after flipping the FNR switch, key, and pedal) it moved. But not with the same gusto I was used to. And I'm not sure any of what I did was the reason. Then when I got to a hill, it acted just like it had no charge - slowing down and stopping altogether. (Batteries checked out fine)

However, and I think this is the key, after coasting back down this semi-bumpy hill, it seemed to start working just as it should again.

I am suspecting a bad connection, or something that got loosened and the bumps put it back were it was supposed to be. Is this what a loose connection would do? That is, mimic low power.

I didn't try much more since I have read that trying to run with a loose connection can create problems - like frying where the loose connection is. How and what is the best way to start troubleshooting this problem? And am I even on the right track?
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Quirky Problem - Need Diagnostic Help

since it would run, and the solenoid "clicks" its not in the solenoid activation circuit....but in the Hi-Current circuit (large cables). and YES, a loose cable/connection will do that.

you said you flipped the F&R Switch.....are you talking one on the dash or one by your knee?

IF its one by your knee, you have a series drive and your F&R Switch is right in front of your controller....if you have to cover on it, remove it.....you would need to do this anyway as you will be checking all they connections on the cables. While you are doing that....on the back side of the F&R switch, there is a nut, its on the shaft of the F&R Switch.....tighten that nut up.....that may solve your problem.

NOW if you F&R switch is in the dash.....just checking all the connections of all the cables, even the ones on the motor....may have fixed your issue. if not.....report back, actually let us know when its working when ever.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
since it would run, and the solenoid "clicks" its not in the solenoid activation circuit....but in the Hi-Current circuit (large cables). and YES, a loose cable/connection will do that.

you said you flipped the F&R Switch.....are you talking one on the dash or one by your knee?

IF its one by your knee, you have a series drive and your F&R Switch is right in front of your controller....if you have to cover on it, remove it.....you would need to do this anyway as you will be checking all they connections on the cables. While you are doing that....on the back side of the F&R switch, there is a nut, its on the shaft of the F&R Switch.....tighten that nut up.....that may solve your problem.

NOW if you F&R switch is in the dash.....just checking all the connections of all the cables, even the ones on the motor....may have fixed your issue. if not.....report back, actually let us know when its working when ever.
Thanks Nuke,
The F&R switch is on the dash. If I understand correctly, the first step is then to check all the cables.

I'm curious - is it possible to have full pack voltage when sitting still, but still have a poor connection that will "reveal" itself when under a load?

I'll be checking things in the morning, and report back.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yes you can have a full pack that reacts like that to a loose or dirty connection under load
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
yes you can have a full pack that reacts like that to a loose or dirty connection under load
Thanks NoBuck,

I thought that might be possible. I was wondering (hoping) if a simple pack check would confirm if there was a loose connection. Now that I know that won't work, I won't make that mistake.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could have a bad cell in a battery. It would show good voltage until you put a load on it. If you can check the voltage while you are driving and see how much it drops.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check all the cable ends with the old tug and twist test to be sure they are solid, then check motor lug bolts to make sure connections are solid... If you don't find an amperage delivery problem then suspect the battery problem. If the cables, F&F, and batteries check out you may have a motor problem like excessively worn brushes.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks very much guys - I'm on my way outside to begin checking things out.

One more useful question please, if I might. Would either the bad cell, or motor brush problem be one that would allow the cart to run perfectly for a long time - then abruptly go almost dead from one foot-down to the next? And then seem to come back again, at least while on level ground? (Although I have yet to fully verify that under load)

As I said, I stopped driving it last night until I could check things out today - afraid I might fry something in the dark. I was under the impression that a loose cable connection can arc, burn up, or make itself known in some other unpleasant fashion.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Well, after the bumping around last night, and what seemed like it was working again, I can confirm that it is back up and climbing hills without a problem this morning - good as new.

So - I was hoping you guys would agree with the following.

It couldn't be a bad cell or brushes - as that wouldn't allow it to work perfectly fine with full power again. So it is probably a cable connection issue that works when positioned correctly, but no so good when jarred or moved slightly.

I will begin looking, but thought I would see if I am on the right path with my limited diagnostic skills.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Start with the cable in the picture you provided.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO