lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
ChutePilot
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default '94 DS, New Owner, New Batteries, No GO

I'm sure there are multiple issues here, with the main issue being I don't know a thing about electric golf carts, and yet I just bought one.

This cart was sold as is, and was advertised as needing batteries. Serial # begins with A9437. This cart has the resistor coil setup.

I mapped the cabling, got 6 new 4ga cables for the series connections, bought 6 new Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL 232 Ah 6v batteries and installed them yesterday.

I hooked up the charger and it looked like it was behaving as expected. It started charging at around 20 Amperes and dropped over time to around 6 Amp. I had hoped it would turn itself off, but it hadn't yet. I didn't want to let it continue unsupervised overnight(for the 1st charge), so I unplugged it. I tested the battery voltage this morning and got a reading of 36+ volts. (my meter has a 50V scale, so I can't get a good specific read).

When I tested the cart operation, I could get no more than a nudge in the proper direction. There is a click (solenoid?) as the GO pedal is depressed, but no GO. I had read somewhere about cycling the GO pedal a few times, and I did that with the key off and the F/R in neutral. One time, I actually got the cart to move forward, although at a very slow speed, and with no strength to power it through a turn. I tried this type of testing several more times without getting anything more than a nudge.

Gave up, and put it back on the charger. Began at around 20 Amp again, and dropped quickly (20, 30 min) to about 5 Amp, more like 4.9. There it sits, again refusing to shut off.

Problem 1 - the charger. How long should I allow it to continue at 4.9 Amp before I should worry about overcharging? Why won't it shut off? SEE UPDATE BELOW

Problem 2 - the no GO. What's going on? Now I'm thinking it might have done the same things to the seller with the old batteries, and he sold it guessing that it needed batteries. As an afterthought, I tested each individual old battery and they all showed 6V on my meter (scaled at 15). Hmmm, maybe I should have tested them FIRST!!!

I had also read something about new batteries not always allowing the charger to shut off, and also something about an on board computer needing to be re-trained or something after new batteries. Unfortunately, I didn't write down anything I read, and I really didn't know what they were talking about anyway. I just thought it would work once I put batteries in it.

I'd appreciate some pointers in the right direction. I have an Owner's Manual, but it seems to feel that the only solution to every problem is the local Club Car Dealer. I am not against taking it there (if there is one around here), but I'd kind of like to try some home remedies first.

Thanks for your time,
Greg

UPDATE - Problem #1 is not a problem! Good news! About 30 minutes after I posted, the charger shut off as it should. I guess I was too impatient.

Last edited by ChutePilot; 06-07-2015 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Status update
ChutePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '94 DS, New Owner, New Batteries, No GO

Welcome to BGW! You have come to the right place. The 1994 club car in question is a resistor coil drive system.New batteries can take as long as 12 or 18 hours to charge depending on how long they've been left sitting in active on the shelf prior to the install. Reference the chart attached to see that 6.0 V is 50% discharged and in need of immediate recharge.
Use your handheld DMM in the 200 V DC range. This should give you readings to the tenth of a volt. Allow the charger to reach its preset shut off which is in the neighborhood of 44 to 46 V for a 36 V pack.

P.S.
There is no onboard computer in this cart.
Use your handheld meter to test inside the charge receptacle and see what the charger is seeing for a starting voltage. If you have connected one of the batteries incorrectly Or have hooked up the charge leads wrong, you will see a significant decrease in the reading taken in the charge receptacle
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
ChutePilot
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the response. As I reported in my update, the charger did finally shut off, so I doubt that the batteries are the problem. My testing meter is an old VOM with a sweep needle to read the results - not very accurate. I have ordered a DMM and will take the readings you suggested once I get it and post the results here.

You mentioned an attached chart, but there was no attachment that I could find.

When testing the charger receptacle, what is the proper placement of the test leads? Does it matter? (Sorry - new at this stuff and I don't want to break anything!)

I noticed that the cables connected to the East-West bar on the F/R switch are not tightened down - is that normal (because they swivel)?

Greg
Old 06-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Blitzkrieg
Getting Wild
Club Car

Location: Hell, Fl. Sucking the life out of old geezers, one drop of sweat at a time !

Heres a chart for you bro. Never run you battery pack below 50% . Those 2 are supposed to swivel when properly torqued !
Attached Images
File Type: png charge state.png (40.8 KB, 0 views)
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
ChutePilot
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the chart - I had seen that one somewhere before and printed it out.

My batteries are brand new, and the cart is not working, so they haven't been discharged anywhere near 50%, and they never will be. I already ordered the battery meter from scottyb's website to make sure that won't happen.

My cart will be used on relatively flat ground, with only slight inclines. Increased speed is not necessary, but if an upgrade resulted in an increase, that would be OK (stock speed or a little above is fine). It has seating for 4, if wanted, and if the rear seat is folded, there is a carrying tray, so I'd want adequate torque. Since it has never run while I owned it, I don't know what it's stock capabilities are. It won't be lifted, and the stock tires will remain. It's just something for my wife to use to get around the property while gardening. If anything is ever towed, it will be a small garden trailer with tools, plants, etc.

In looking at possible upgrades, I see references to the throttle being 0-5k or 5k-0. What does that mean and how do I tell?

What's the general opinion on doing a conversion? Right now, the cart isn't working, and I don't know why. Should I find out why first (how?), or should I consider a conversion from coil resistors to solid state? If I did a conversion, what parts of the system are not replaced (and therefore still suspect)?

If I start replacing stock parts of the system, every new part will reduce my motivation to convert. Heck, if I replace 3 or 4 items, I'll be more than halfway to a new system anyway.

I know I have lots of beginner questions. Sorry, but that's where I am. I've never owned one of these before. But I am willing to learn! As I understand it, the order of troubleshooting would be batteries, F/R switch, solenoid, V-Glide Wiper switch, coil resistors, and motor. Is that correct? What I don't know is how to actually perform the troubleshooting in order to identify where the problem is.

I'll be getting my new digital multimeter within a week. Aside from testing the batteries, I'm not sure what to do with it, or how.

Fire away! Give me some things to test and tell me how to test them. I'd love to make some progress with this thing. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
killerblair
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

does anybody have any insite on this problem? i have the exact same issue with my electric car but it is a 1996. i am hoping someone chimes in to help us out.

Thanks Blair
killerblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
ChutePilot
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi Blair,

Good luck with yours! I decided to go in a different direction and turn my '94 into a project cart. I'm going to convert it to a 48V solid state system and get rid of the entire 36V drive system.

I would suggest that you start your own thread, since this one doesn't really apply anymore (to me), and I probably should close it.

Greg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car