lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EM Brake Coil Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayed View Post
Thank you Bob, it makes sense. I'll get on it tomorrow. If this doesn't work we will strip the body and accessories and it will become a parts car.

Ted Fischer
Hey there Ted

I'm only about a 2 hours drive away from Cleveland GA if you need some assistance. I can bring some parts that might help with testing, including a new 2016 RXV harness and a couple of controllers. I would hate to see an RXV become a parts cart. Using a different unmounted motor temperature sensor to get past the POST is doable.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Hey there Ted

I'm only about a 2 hours drive away from Cleveland GA if you need some assistance. I can bring some parts that might help with testing, including a new 2016 RXV harness and a couple of controllers. I would hate to see an RXV become a parts cart. Using a different unmounted motor temperature sensor to get past the POST is doable.

Bob
that's what I really LOVE about this place..... Not only are the people on here willing to offer advise, but for the most part they go above and beyond to help one another out.... How many dealers (not saying Bob is a dealer) would be willing to drive 2 hours away just to help someone test out their cart to determine an issue without charging them an arm and a leg for it??
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Around these parts it's called being neighborly. Neighbors help neighbors that need help, and do not expect to be paid for doing it.

Bob
Old 09-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #14
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

lmao, I live in the country (yes, even in Central Florida, there is "country") and I was raised to always help my neighbors. Unfortunately, that seems to be found less and less nowadays.

I was just stung by over 300 yellowjackets on Labor Day While mowing a part of my property that I don't normally touch. The first thing my Neighbor asked when he found out was if my wife wanted him to retrieve the mower from where I abandoned it and burn out the hive. Not many people would risk that knowing how badly I was stung by that same hive.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I was raised the same way. Unfortunately, the country home where I was raised became a part of the suburbs as the city kept expanding. I was gone from there by then, building my career elsewhere. I spent decades in an industry where secrecy and avoiding outsiders was commonplace. I pretty much lost the people skills that I grew up with. I'm trying to get that back. It's been a challenge to do that, especially considering that I must still keep the majority of my career secret.

Bob
Old 09-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #16
Tayed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you so much Bob, The Cart is actually at our shop in Buford Georgia. I have traced the black wire white stripe, from the EM brake to the run plug, then from the run plug back to pin 5 and I have continuity. Also with the Cart in Tow mode I have 48 Volts to pin 5 with the EM brake engaged. I loose this voltage when I press the brake switch at the peddle. I also have continuity between Pin 12 and pin 5. I don't know what else to try. I have a wiring harness from another RXV, but I am not confident enough to go to all that work and still have the problem. Would it be worth a try to cut the Black EM brake wire at both ends and connect a wire to bypass the harness?

You are very kind to offer your help.

Thank you
Ted Fischer
Tayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you so much Bob, The Cart is actually at our shop in Buford Georgia. I have traced the black wire white stripe, from the EM brake to the run plug, then from the run plug back to pin 5 and I have continuity. Also with the Cart in Tow mode I have 48 Volts to pin 5 with the EM brake engaged. I loose this voltage when I press the brake switch at the peddle. I also have continuity between Pin 12 and pin 5. I don't know what else to try. I have a wiring harness from another RXV, but I am not confident enough to go to all that work and still have the problem. Would it be worth a try to cut the Black EM brake wire at both ends and connect a wire to bypass the harness?

You are very kind to offer your help.

Thank you
Ted Fischer
Ted, Buford is quite a bit further I think.

You already said that you tried another controller and had the same error? This is a strange one indead. Logically, the controller steps through each peripheral, one by one, testing each for proper parameters. When all pass, then POST passes and the cart is ready to go.

On the brake tests, the + side is tested for the presence of +48V. Then the - side is tested for the presence of +48V. That is where the RXV you are working on is failing. If you plug in a good EM brake, take a voltmeter, and check the negative wire for voltage, you should read that at +48V. If there is no +48V there, then trace back through the EM brake coil to the + side, follow that back to and through the harness plugs #1 and #2. From there, the wire bonds to a white wire that runs to controller pin 12. You've said that you have continuity between controller pins 5 and 12. Unless you're dealing with an extremely intermittent connection in that chain, it's defying logic.

When you press the brake pedal, it disconnects the +48V from controller pin 12, so the mismatch in voltage between pin 12 and pin 5 ceases. This clears the error. It's acting like an open exists there, instead of continuity. But you say you have +48V at pin 5 and it goes away when you press the brake. That seems to indicate a defective controller again. If you had not already tried another controller, then I would feel that there could be an issue with the voltage sense line from pin 5. If that FET was failed shorted, then you would have an EM Brake On error. If it was failed open, then you would have an EM Brake Off error. If the brake coil impedance was too low then you would have an EM Brake OC error. The EM Brake Missing error indicates an open circuit, somewhere in that pair of loops. Voltage testing you reported does not support the open loop theory.

This was why I recommended the main harness swapout test. You don't need to fully install the harness. Just lay it in and connect it to everything that is tested during POST, then power it up. See if the error persists. Usually these things are found to be bad connections at harness pin/wire joints, factory bonding connections, or where harness plugs connect to other connectors. Since the RXV has a more complex testing program, there is more to fail on the RXV.

I can feel your pain on this. I had a similar incident with a 2015 2Five, where I checked every wire. It turned out to be a defective sense line on pin 5 of the controller, a brand new Curtis controller that E-Z-GO had sent to the dealer because of similar brake errors. E-Z-GO sent me a new Danaher harness at first, then sent the right Curtis harness, a new one right off of the assembly line. I had tested the harness so much that I just knew that it could not be the harness. I put the controller on the bench and the sense line for pin 5 was inoperable. E-Z-GO finally had to admit that the controller was defective. I put in a new controller on my dime and everything passed POST. E-Z-GO is supposed to replace the defective controller under warranty but I still have not received it. Gotta love E-Z-GO! LOL

Bob
Old 09-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Tayed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Great news! I laid out and connected another wiring harness and that solved the two error problems. EM Break Coil Missing and Motor Temp Sensor Fault are no longer in the present errors. Still not able to move. On the Curtis hand held under monitor, Inputs I am Showing 0% on Throttle Command and Mapped Throttle while in run mode when I depress the peddle.

Thanks for your help Bob. I think I am almost there!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Great news! I laid out and connected another wiring harness and that solved the two error problems. EM Break Coil Missing and Motor Temp Sensor Fault are no longer in the present errors. Still not able to move. On the Curtis hand held under monitor, Inputs I am Showing 0% on Throttle Command and Mapped Throttle while in run mode when I depress the peddle.

Thanks for your help Bob. I think I am almost there!

Great progress Ted!
Did you remember to clear the errors in the past errors window?
Do any error messages now show for HPD/Sequencing Fault?
If so, check the throttle zero switch and the throttle encoder. Throttle issues are a walk through the park to resolve compared to some of those brake error nightmares.

If you opened the loom on that bad harness you would probably find the issue(s) it had. I tend to repair harnesses, test them, and keep them for future use. You can make yourself a nice RXV component benchtop test fixture with an old RXV harness.

Bob
Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #20
Tayed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good stuff �� Thank you for the time you gave my RXV issue. I want to find the fault in the bad harness, good idea to use on test bench ����
TGIF I'll be back at it Monday.

CARTwRIGHTs����
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO