lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
Dudeman1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Txt in dash radio installation

I have an Ezgo txt freedom series 36v with lights. I want to install a radio into the dash of my cart. I figure I will cut the ball holder out and install it there. I would like to install the speaker on the panel below the seat. (where your calves touch when you're sitting down) The problem is that I don't know exactly how to wire it. Id assume id run the speaker wire from the stereo to the speakers. But I dont know how to supply the power. Id like to connect the power to the batteries but dont think I need all 36v for the radio. I want the radio to turn on with the cart and not run off of a separate battery.

I think Ill need to use a voltage reducer. does anyone have any ideas on what one to buy. Can i buy one of the $15 on ebay or do I need to buy the $300 one off of ezgos website. whats the difference.

Sorry if there is another post like this, I couldnt find one that helped me out enough.
Dudeman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Txt in dash radio installation

You get what you pay for. The cheap ones on Ebay are only good for a few amps. Notice as the amps go up, so does the price. It also matters if you need one that can be run through your key switch to turn on and off with the key. I put a 30 amp in my TXT and it handles the radio and lights well.

Several of the forum sponsors sell them and can tell you which will fit your needs if you have questions.
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
mike484
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a TXT with head and tail lights, arent they 12v and shouldnt there be a 12v connection that I can attach other 12v accessories to without having to add a voltage reducer?

I havent even given it a thought about not having a 12v connection since I have lights and a horn.
mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
Dudeman1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneunder View Post
You get what you pay for. The cheap ones on Ebay are only good for a few amps. Notice as the amps go up, so does the price. It also matters if you need one that can be run through your key switch to turn on and off with the key. I put a 30 amp in my TXT and it handles the radio and lights well.

Several of the forum sponsors sell them and can tell you which will fit your needs if you have questions.
Are you talking about the voltage reducer.
Dudeman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have front lights, there is a 12v connection in the dash behind the ball holder. I think is for the blinkers.

The problem I see is that is your wiring is original you will be pulling 12V from the first (or last) 2 6v batteries. And you may end up wearing those 2 batts more than the rest of the pack.

In mine I added an extra standard 12v battery (in the hole under the driver) and rewired the 12v to that battery, which runs the stereo, lights, light bar, usb port, etc.
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I had to do it over again, I would install the MadJax voltage reducer. This is the only one I have found that has BOTH a 12V switched, and 12V constant output. The constant 12V output is perfect for a in dash car/marine stereo to maintain memory/clock functions.
http://www.mymadjax.com/Shop-by-Cate...r/MJ1230C.html
madjax.PNG
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeman1234 View Post
Are you talking about the voltage reducer.
Yes
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have installed the radio in the ball holder. Works like a champ.... As for the 12VDC, check with Scotty for the one he suggests. (http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducer--.html)
Do not bother with the ones on Ebay.... Been there done that.....
Easy to install, and has plenty of ommph when you decide to add other 12VDC stuff, light bars, etc.
Henri
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is why I just installed a 12 volt battery under the seat on the driver side. Got a deep cycle marine battery for $65 from Sam's Club. Much cheaper than the good quality voltage reducers, and I am not pulling any power from my battery pack. I run lights and amp/speakers off it right now, with plans to add more accessories down the road. I never have an issue of juice either. The 12 volt battery powers everything for days.
MattFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFX4 View Post
This is why I just installed a 12 volt battery under the seat on the driver side. Got a deep cycle marine battery for $65 from Sam's Club. Much cheaper than the good quality voltage reducers, and I am not pulling any power from my battery pack. I run lights and amp/speakers off it right now, with plans to add more accessories down the road. I never have an issue of juice either. The 12 volt battery powers everything for days.
Yup, that's certainly another solution. I did not choose that for the simple reason that since I have a 36V cart , with plans to upgrade to either 42/48 at some time, so I preferred to reserve that space for additional bank batteries.
Henri
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, installation, radio
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO