lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
rnhrtfan
Not Yet Wild

Default Would you go ahead and replace it?

While I’m waiting on my batteries I keep looking at my solenoid... and I keep thinkin I should go ahead and replace it... the cart sat for about 6-8 years before I picked it up a couple weeks ago... would you go ahead and replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnhrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Would you go ahead and replace it?

I would.

My original looked similar to yours and I replaced it just to be able to pretty up the wiring.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
2016CTD
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would, if you plan on doing any mods like controller or motor I would get a Heavy duty one. See the site sponsors.
2016CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If it is functional, then it is just a dollars and sense question. How many dollars makes good sense... (Remember, these solenoids can last sometimes for the life of the cart)

If you do replace it, plan for the future. So if you are thinking a bigger controller/motor down the road, upgrade the solenoid now when you replace it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

If you decide not to replace it, you should consider changing the wire "stacking" on the large solenoid posts. The yellow cable appears to be wired correctly with the highest amperage cable on the bottom. The red cable on the other main terminal should be on the bottom with the other wires "stacked" above it. As it is presently wired, you could potentially create a high temperature connection due to the lower amperage rated connectors below the red cable having to transmit the full amperage of the cart. This can result in additional resistance and the potential for melting the main solenoid terminal or damaging your "working" solenoid.

Be careful when removing the terminal nuts as the posts are often copper and can twist off easily. Spray the threaded post with a quality penetrating oil and back off the nut carefully. Failure to observe this precaution cost me a new solenoid!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:04 AM   #6
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhrtfan View Post
While I’m waiting on my batteries I keep looking at my solenoid... and I keep thinkin I should go ahead and replace it... the cart sat for about 6-8 years before I picked it up a couple weeks ago... would you go ahead and replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you replace it now at your leisure you won't have to worry with it giving up the ghost at some inopportune time. Personally I'd change it out and replace it with a heavy duty one just to be safe.
In my life it seems when something goes wrong its always at the most embarrassing time :-)
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Count me in as the minority but I sure the heck am not replacing something that works unless I have to as part of an upgrade or something.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car