lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #21
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Is this as fast as it will go .?.!.?.!..

Ok ... I am halfway on the same page now ! So it’s not the best but it will work ... Is it second best? Is it a useless piece of sh:t? Will it catch my cart and house on fire if I don’t look at it the entire time it’s charging. Can I leave it and walk away? My other part that I am confused on is this ? Why can’t I find used 48volt parts like a controller and what ever else I need to do a 48 volt conversion. Is there not a used parts list that I can search one item at a time other than buying a brand new kit. Don’t get me wrong, I think that the kit on scottyb page is reasonable. Are some controllers interchangeable with different motors? Seems like they would be.
Threewheelmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #22
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Don't use that one for a 48v cart! Accu-Power chargers were fully automated and only for 36v golf carts that I know of. And looking at the picture, that is a 36v plug attached to that charger..... (The 48VDC you see on the back is what its capable of and needed to fully charge a pack. Just like Powerdrives will go to 60VDC)

If it is something different then we will hear it from someone.

And mgray you are correct on all the Powerdrive series (1, 2 & 3) chargers.
Note my caveat guys... That is why I said I have only seen them for 36v carts and that was a 36v plug. Sergio provided more information and you will never hear me say I have Sergio's vast experience.

Me personally, would never use that in a 48v application as if its output is only 48v, how will you ever correctly charge the 48v pack(?) As I mentioned, Powerdrives go upwards of ~60vdc to correctly charge a 48v pack in conjunction with algorithms programmed in the OBC.

Unless you have to have that one for some reason, sell it and get you a DPI as CTD suggested.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #23
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelmotion View Post
Ok ... I am halfway on the same page now ! So it’s not the best but it will work ... Is it second best? Is it a useless piece of sh:t?
It would be at the bottom of the list.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

it is always a good idea to have multiple perspectives on an issue, specially when everyone is civilized about it.

The 48v is the "nominal" voltage, which means that charger will go up to 60v or whatever its LC resonant circuit is designed to allow.

The thing to keep in mind is when that was designed, having a "transistor radio" was a big deal, today a typical Intel I7 CPU has 731,000,000 transistors and the new apple A10 CPU has 3.3 Billion of them.

Clearly lead-acid batteries are pretty archaic as well but the newer chargers can squeeze more performance out of them.

If You are going to use that charger, just do not invest in high end batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #25
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the detailed response Sergio ! I will put the charger up for sale and see what happens. “Back to the drawing board”. Lol. Is there a better charger than others. I guess the easiest option for converting to 48 is Scottyb kits from what I have found. I and grateful for all of your help ! Thanks. STAY TUNED ! I am sure I will have more questions !
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That charger that Crash posted (post #20) is the latest techonology.

My personal opinion is to only do the conversion if You are going to get enjoyment out of the process, economically it makes no sense at all, just sell that cart and buy a newer cart, preferably a Precedent 48v model.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thats what I am thinking too Sergio. My problem is that it was given to me and I dont want to turn around and sell it and look like a butt hole Although, I do enjoy working on stuff. The money aspect of it is why I was asking about how to do it cheaply on the older cart. Thanks for the help
Old 11-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That charger that Crash posted (post #20) is the latest techonology.

My personal opinion is to only do the conversion if You are going to get enjoyment out of the process, economically it makes no sense at all, just sell that cart and buy a newer cart, preferably a Precedent 48v model.
It may be PWM technology but, is that the correct output for 170-190 Amp Hour batteries? (typical 8v capacity)
I was always taught the initial bulk rate charge needed to be 10% of capacity to force the heavy elements off the plates and up off the bottom of the cells... because if the remain there the cells sulfate and stagnate.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Hey guys... I found this exact model "brand new" for a really good price and it is in the same town that I live in. To make sure I have this correct, all I need is this, upgraded cables, maybe a new "clean" or updated soleniod, and a pot box. I will be running it on the current 36 volt system until I upgrade batteries. At that time I would probly upgrade the F/R as well. Am I on the right track ? Remember, I am trying to do this on a budget. If you know of a cheaper way, please enlighten me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (58.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Scottyb .... Do you sell the potentiometer "foot controll" by itself ?

Tags
1990, 36volt, club car, fast
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car