lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
interstate
Gone Wild

Default lets talk chargers

Hi everyone,

I am new to golf carts and just picked up a club car ds electric. I will be buying new batteries and cables today. The restoration is going well.

I don't have a charger yet.

I come from other hobbies that use deep cycle lead acid, or lithium ion, lithium phosphate, nicad, nickle metal.... all using modern chargers that are small, lightweight. Some are even user configurable via a compute and software updates.

I have been told that solid state chargers are a no-no with golf cart batteries. I am learning that dedicated Cart chargers use transormers and this is best.

Why not buy a less expensive on board 36v fully automatic marine charger for 40% of the cost of a name brand cart charger?

Can you explain to me why other chargers are inferior ?

Will you explain why these
chargers for golf carts using 50 year old technology is so dreadfully expensive?

Thanks in advance for you input.
interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
phnguyk
Getting Wild

Default Re: lets talk chargers

Any outcome, been trying to find out myself.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I do not have the answer to your questions. Just the observation that the modern chargers put out considerably less amperage. Perhaps it is not enough to 'knock the sulfates off of the plates'??? .... I too will be waiting for the answers
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstate View Post
I have been told that solid state chargers are a no-no with golf cart batteries. I am learning that dedicated Cart chargers use transormers and this is best.

Why not buy a less expensive on board 36v fully automatic marine charger for 40% of the cost of a name brand cart charger?

Can you explain to me why other chargers are inferior ?

Will you explain why these
chargers for golf carts using 50 year old technology is so dreadfully expensive?
Solid state chargers are fine to use in a golf cart.
The old ferro resonant chargers that carts come with are truly old technology, in the finishing stage, they basically fry your batteries over a period of time.
A 3 to 6 stage electronic high frequency charger is probably the best you can get today. They tend to control sulphation with the pulsing as opposed to higher voltage which should extend your battery life span. These are manufactured by DeltaQ, Lester and also some Chinese variants.
The 36v marine chargers are confusing to set up but they would work. They actually charge 3x12v banks, not an actual 36v output like a true 36v specific charger. There is very little difference in pricing, a pro marine charger is about the same price as a HF onboard charger.
What marine charger did you have in mind using and what was it's cost?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
timbo2
Getting Wild

if its a 48 volt club you will have to bypass the on board computer i think the power drive charger works fine and the thunderbull nivel #6031 works as good at a better price
timbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...d-charger.html
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The chargers dtkana posted above are for small scooters etc.
There is a comparison page for Ferro resonant, SCR and HF Battery chargers that is pretty accuarate.
Advantages of High Frequency technology and comparison to other charger technologies.
Link: http://www.kinetekcontrols.com/produ...rychargers.asp
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is the charger that I put in my cart during my upgrade to 48v. It does a really great job and I love the fact that all I need now is an extension cord and outlet to charge no matter where I am. Don't have to carry a charger with me.
It is a pretty small unit and light weight.

http://www.delta-q.com/products/quiq.shtml
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car