lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 500 Amp Controller install. In over my head!

I have a 2002 CC Series cart. I gutted the cart and I am upgrading the suspension, motor and controller. I am also adding acccessories such as a light kit, rear double seat, brush guard and front basket. I purchased a 500amp Controller and upgraded motor combo. I figured I could just install the same way I took apart the stock units, but I think I must be sadly mistaken! This thing is programmable through a serial interface...WHAT? Ah crap!

1. It says I need a "battery contactor" which does not come with the combo, where do I get one of these?

2. I purchased 4AWG wire which I thought was "beefed up" for what I am doing, but this controller states a minimum of 4AWG for "light weight carts" and 2AWG for "heavier vehicles". It states the wiring to the controller should use terminals of tinned copper. Is the 4AWG wire good enough or do I need to send back the wiring and purchase 2AWG from somewhere else?

Anyone that has any knowledge of doing any of this please help! If it is easier to explain over the phone them send me a PM, that would be greatly appreciated!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 500 Amp Controller install. In over my head!

Is it an Alltrax AXE blue & white controller?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It's made by D&D Motor Systems Inc.

The model # is AXE4855 R6
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It's made by D&D Motor Systems Inc.

The model # is AXE4855 R6

It is blue and white.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is an Alltrax controller. You can run it on the factory settings or you can download the program from alltrax and buy the serial to usb cable from radio shack or ebay.

Alltrax just recently began recommending 2 gauge wire for their 500a & up controllers. For years we used 4g with even the 650a units ... It is quite possible you will be okay with the 4g unless you are building an extreme cart. One of our members just raced at IGKRA event with a 48v ezgo 500a Alltrax and 4g wires.... no problems. The contactor mentioned is the solenoid. It needs to be rated for the controller you are using. Likely you can get by with a MZJ-200D. Don't forget the matched resistor & diode.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

I only disconnected the wiring from the F/R switch (upgraded that as well), the solenoid (thinking I may have to upgrade that as well now?) the controller and motor. I took a ton of pictures and was going to hook everything back up the same way I took it apart. Can I assume from the wiring diagram that the stock wiring setup is okay to use?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
That is an Alltrax controller. You can run it on the factory settings or you can download the program from alltrax and buy the serial to usb cable from radio shack or ebay.

Alltrax just recently began recommending 2 gauge wire for their 500a & up controllers. For years we used 4g with even the 650a units ... It is quite possible you will be okay with the 4g unless you are building an extreme cart. One of our members just raced at IGKRA event with a 48v ezgo 500a Alltrax and 4g wires.... no problems. The contactor mentioned is the solenoid. It needs to be rated for the controller you are using. Likely you can get by with a MZJ-200D. Don't forget the matched resistor & diode.
The stock solenoid is the SW80, which it has diagrams for so I guess I am okay there. Good thing because I am out of cash
Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should have gotten a diagram with the new controller? You must be certain that the motor wires go back onto the same terminals not the same locations. A1 must go back on A1, not A2 or S1 or S2....
Can you post the diagram they sent with the upgrade pkg?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Hat Trick
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You should have gotten a diagram with the new controller? You must be certain that the motor wires go back onto the same terminals not the same locations. A1 must go back on A1, not A2 or S1 or S2....
Can you post the diagram they sent with the upgrade pkg?
Yep, give me a couple minutes.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is no way I would sell a motor and controller upgrade to use with the stock solenoid? I guess we need the specs on the stock solenoid? T-dawg would know....anybody? I know Ezgo stock unit is 100a.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car