lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need help getting to brushes (36v motor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
What about the batteries do they die fast or give you some time to get home. I don't want to get stranded in the other side of the neighborhood.
lead acid has a MUCH more linear discharge curve than a LIxx cell. you'll feel voltage drop off as capacity is drained. its nothing like a sharp LIxx shelf!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 AM   #22
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Total pack is sitting at 37.0 volts. It has been charging for about 7 hours.
Check to make sure you don't have a battery wired in parrallel instead of series. It should be up around 42 volts or so after that long of charging....unless they were just totally dead new....and I mean waaay dead.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #23
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Check to make sure you don't have a battery wired in parrallel instead of series. It should be up around 42 volts or so after that long of charging....unless they were just totally dead new....and I mean waaay dead.
All wires are correct and they are in series pos to neg.+ neg. to pos. I verified everything with the wiring diagram found here.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #24
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
One other question I have is that my charger is buzzing loud as hell and the ammeter gauge is sitting low on the scale. .....

The charger has gotten warm and if I loosen one of the battery terminals you can see some sparking indicating the charger is putting some power to the batteries. Is this normal?
buzzing of the transformer is normal.

i wouldn't monkey around with the connections during the charge. the OBC needs to calibrate to your batteries and breaking the connection could cause additional confusion to the controller. initial charge could take 10 or more hours. the steady 2-3 amps at the end of the cycle is a conditioning phase. not sure whether terminating the charge early or not is a good idea. i would aim for some complete cycles of the charger. ie: full charge, 20-25% discharge, followed by full charge, then repeat. a couple of those and your OBC should have a good handle on whats up with your batteries. closely monitor any lengthy charges.

i had a couple of charges on my new cells that seemed to sit at 3 or 4 amps for a little too long. i terminated those early and followed up with some laps around the neighborhood and it seems to be much better about cutting off in a timely manner.
-sj
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #25
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Let it charge a while and check the pack voltage again. If it doesn't come up you either have a bad battery, bad charger or a battery wired in parallel. You don't have to do complete cycles.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The stuck motor armature to differential input shaft is why I stress the new parts between armature and input shaft as that along with Moly Teflon lub that CC has part #10224303 will not allow this to happen again.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #27
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
The stuck motor armature to differential input shaft is why I stress the new parts between armature and input shaft as that along with Moly Teflon lub that CC has part #10224303 will not allow this to happen again.
is the moly teflon from cc pricey? is it safe for use on bushings? i've been using silicon for my bushings but just ran out.
-sj
Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #28
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Let it charge a while and check the pack voltage again. If it doesn't come up you either have a bad battery, bad charger or a battery wired in parallel. You don't have to do complete cycles.
My charger started out and ran at just a hair above the green zone. Pretty much at the green zone near the end of the scale and never got any higher. After several hours it actually went all the way to the furthest green which to me looked like I was going to charge anymore. The problem is The most I have gotten from the voltage readings was 37 volts across the pack with the individual batteries sitting at 6.10, 6.07, 6.20, and one got to about 6.5 volts. I read that they need to get up to 6.7 volts right? I ended up giving up on the charger and just using a 15 amp car charger with two batteries at a time. The charger stared out at like 15 amps and dropped down to about 10.5-11 amps but never went lower than that. There is no brand name on these batteries. They are purely generic. I drop my cart around my neighborhood several times. The cart was always slow and got real weak after just a few trips. Is there a way test your charger to see if it is even trying. Don't they only click on for batteries that have some charge. If I have none hooked up I guess it will stay at 0 volts right.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #29
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Sounds like the batteries are toast if you they only last a short while. Another sign is not fully charging. Those numbers being way off from each other isn't good either.

The charger won't do anything if its not hooked up.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 PM   #30
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Sounds like the batteries are toast if you they only last a short while. Another sign is not fully charging. Those numbers being way off from each other isn't good either.

The charger won't do anything if its not hooked up.
Problem is theese are new batteries and the water in them and what is visable of the cells looks good and clean.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car