lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Melted batt. terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
isn't brass closer to copper on the anodic index than ss? if your crimp terminals are copper or brass, then i think brass would be the best choice to avoid corrosion.
-sj
...might ask the battery manufacturers, most use Stainless nuts and studs on their batteries.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #22
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

well, a 3/8 thread without heat shrink slides through with no problem, but it is simply a steel bolt. I was going to try it unless something better came up. I not so big on the parrallel by pass anymore...it seems my cart has had quite a few problems since I did this last. I'm not saying it was the cause, but as a non-elelctrical guy I use common sense! My obc seems to be inaccurate in shutting off the charger with the by pass. My batts. always overboil....so I'm willing to try something new like Robbies bolt through process. Aren't we all experimenting....I'll let you know.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The question here is whether the OBC sees full voltage through the bypass. My understanding of electrical conductors tells me it does see the same voltage as the main cable. I think it does not see the same amperage but, I think it sees the same voltage. (I think the OBC is looking for specific voltage) This is something worth trying if you think you have a problem in this area. I would tend to use a fat plastic standoff type washer (1/4") on the metal side... I would like to know what you think of this once you get it going.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

not to disagree roady(well i am) but i always thought they used stainless because it is the cheapest thing that will not corrode.

http://metaldetectingworld.com/07_ph...tive_order.jpg

and as a machinist i can tell you that working with silver, copper and brass it is soft! Not sure if the bolts were made of these the threads would actually hold the tightness needed for a battery connection.

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In golf carts copper studs are used in the solenoid & the F&R & the Motor safe to say they hold enough.... Where are those pesky torque specs when you need them?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #26
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

you are correct. i had forgotten about them. i usually don't have those issues with gas carts.. lol

kinda mute point as if the contacts are both good the bolt will only hold them together
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #27
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
not to disagree roady(well i am) but i always thought they used stainless because it is the cheapest thing that will not corrode.

http://metaldetectingworld.com/07_ph...tive_order.jpg

and as a machinist i can tell you that working with silver, copper and brass it is soft! Not sure if the bolts were made of these the threads would actually hold the tightness needed for a battery connection.

-Aaron
I agree. No reason to disagree with me, I was just letting sj know that the battery MFG's use SS so maybe he should ask them about the anodic index.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What is the idiotic index?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #29
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is the idiotic index?
http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #30
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

so what is the parallel bypass? parallel 2 6awg cables and feed one through the OBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
...might ask the battery manufacturers, most use Stainless nuts and studs on their batteries.
i think my batts use lead or tinned studs, not sure... but did come with stainless nuts. if i were to guess, the nuts might sacrificial. steel is only like 8% as conductive as copper. you're right, its a good question for the battery manufacturers.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car