lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Water Damage. Need Help

I have a 2004 Club Car Precedent. We put a Jakes 6 Inch lift to get around our hunting property. Mainly to cross a stream that runs through. It has been raining for the past 3 days and I took the cart around the property. As I crossed the stream it was too deep and water came to about the cup holders. It began to float then shut off, so I turned the key off, got out and pushed it across to dry land. My friend then turned the ignition back on and somehow drove it about 5 feet before he stopped and turned it back off. I got back in and tried and it did not move. I got it home and looked at it. 2 wires running to the motor look burnt and the insulation is peeling off. I checked the fuses and the only one is not blown. Any advice? I am not sure whether i fried the motor or what but I am in need of help.
Kent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Water Damage. Need Help

*UPDATE* I went outside this morning to check if it would move. I turned on the ignition and it went forward when I depressed the gas pedal. Yet when I put it in reverse it acted like it was still in forward.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

You will need to inpect everything, the controllers are not water proof. You also need to pull the floor mat and pull up some of the compartments to check for standing water. You've most likely fried the controller.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright. Thank you. There are upgraded controllers aren't there? Like 400amps. I'd like to pick up more speed if i have to replace a part so I'm going to have to upgrade.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
ackjay
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

In the mean time, hit your favorite auto parts place and pick up some electrical contact cleaner. Get those pieces dried out good before you try to make it run again. Electric + water = BAD THINGS HAPPENING!
ackjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hahahaha. I wish I would have seen this 30 minutes ago. I just took it down the street. It ran AT LEAST 5mph faster. Very noticable gain in speed. I got to the bottom of my street and it stopped again. I tried going, all it did was barely budge. I looked at the motor again and a green and white wire were extremely hot. I shut it off to keep from further damage. It's now sitting at the bottom of the street until my friend comes to pull it back.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So it has been a couple of days since the incident happened. I tried to see if it would move again, yet all that happened was when I put it into forward it started backing up. After switching the tow switch to the run position there was a spark from the ground terminal on one of the batteries. I have no clue whats wrong with it. If you have any idea please share them
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent22 View Post
So it has been a couple of days since the incident happened. I tried to see if it would move again, yet all that happened was when I put it into forward it started backing up. After switching the tow switch to the run position there was a spark from the ground terminal on one of the batteries. I have no clue whats wrong with it. If you have any idea please share them
You've fried your electronics, the worst thing in all of this was the continuing to add power after everything got wet.

You have most likely fried your controller for sure. Maybe a solenoid, OBC is water tight so it should be ok. First thing I would do is, take everything apart, make sure EVERYTHING is dry.

Did your batteries get any river water in them? If so you could have lots more issues than you think, if not then they are probably ok.
Have you check your differential to make sure it's not full of water, need to do that to. I would plan on a fluid change.

Once the main power is disconnected you can take 48v directly to the small posts of the solenoid to see if it clicks, if it doesn't it's bad, but just because it clicks doesn't mean it's good either.

Once you've got it all torn apart, start replacing things, beginining with the Controller, and since it sounds like this could happen again go with an AllTrax controller as they are water proof, since they are filled with epoxy.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah I figured running power to it after it all happened would screw it up. But no water got to the batteries. The water got to the bottom of the cup holders. That's as far as it would go because the cart started floating after that. I'll begin the tear down tonight and post pictures to keep you guys updated. Thank you all for the help.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, so I took the batteries out and as soon as I look at the controller, Blam. Water spots all underneath it. After I got it out you could hear the water sploshing around. I went to the Alltrax website. What amperage controller would you recommend I use with my set up?

Tags
electric, electric club car, motor, precedent, water
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car