lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
jscritch
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2A - backfiring bad

I just started this project cart. (G2) It was found in a field.
I had to rewire it (rats had got them), put a used starter on it, starter relay, and have put a temporary gas supply on it.

I got it started, but it is backfiring both ways.
Here is the link to youtube video of it running.

I tried 3 times setting the valves based on the service manual.
I tried adjusting out with carb, cleaned carb thoroughly as well.

Anybody got ideas?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
jscritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2A - backfiring bad

I would run a spark tester on it, sounds like bad spark. They are cheap, $5 or so and you can see if you have a steady spark. A cheater way that sometimes works is pull the plug boot part way off the plug so it has to jump spark to the plug, that will make spark stronger if it works but may not. I should say most don't but I have seen them run that bad just because the airbox was off. They are strange that way and will foul the plug just for that reason alone. I rejetted mine and tossed the silencer off the airbox, no problem after that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Looks like fuel spitting out around one of the mounting bolts. Is that what I'm seeing?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm with Sho on the air box.Install that first and see how it runs.The carb is tuned for the air box and filter,and it will run a lot different if changes are made,and the carb isn't retuned for them.My wife's was popping with the filter removed(it was clogged,and I needed to run the cart that weekend,and the new filter hadn't been delivered yet),new filter,and it ran perfect again.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
jscritch
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys!
That is not gas spitting out. It is a shiny carter key spinning and bouncing due to vibration.
I will try the airbox next then check back.
jscritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Might check the "small" black ground wire at the starter generator. Cut it off the main negative battery lead and used your own eye end to attatch it to the stud. It's the main ground for the wire harness and the ignition is based on "open/closed" ground. Also check the primary clutch for a broken weight. Good luck.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha