lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

Default Piston failure, major overhaul.

I purchased this for dirt cheap and thought id fix it up a little. It had no spark so I did the HEI conversion and we have spark again.

89 or 90 not sure cant find the serial number. its a 3pg though.

Digging deeper I find myself in more trouble that i thought.

What are those passages for? The crank doesnt seem to have any movement at all so I dont think I need new crank seals? Can I buy the top end kit with piston, rings, and gaskets and be good to go again?

I cant post pictures yet... Can i get a mod to overide this since im not spamming?

Just remove the both * from each link... Thanks

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...pszc0gxyba.jpg

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0zrzm8vw.jpg
germandude890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Piston failure, major overhaul.

With piston pieces in the lower end, it really should come apart for a good cleaning. Bearings are usually not harmed but a pair of seals is a good idea, after 25 years.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

What are those passageways for? oil?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not clear what passages you mean but if it is the two holes in the case above the crankshaft bearings they allow gas and oil to get to the bearings.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

^^ thats them! That what I thought they were there for. I have cleaned it out to the best of my ability and I hope that after the new gaskets, piston, and rings ill have plenty of compression to get the fuel pump working and enough suction to actually draw it into the cylinder.

A few more questions:

How much is the fuel pump supposed to pump? When running just off the starting it was doing a drop of fuel(water in this case) every 2 seconds or so. Does this sound right? Im expecting more after I cleaned the pump and will have more compression later.

Im getting weak spark after I did the HEI mod. I may have let the yellow/red wire tough ground and I fear I fried the module. It used to be nice fat and blue but now its pretty small. Should I return the module and get another one?

On the drive clutch. It seems to be in pretty rough shape. I don't hear any clicking or clanking when I turn it, this is either a good thing or a bad thing, Im not really sure. It does seem to be seized up but again Im not sure if the springs inside are just that powerful or it it has to be turning for it to close up. Is there any way to test this? preferably without removing the engine? There is a good deal on one from eBay that ends in 5 hours so I hope one of you guys sees this before then.

What does the throttle cable linkage contraption on top of the rear diff do? Seems kinda weird to me.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

How much is the fuel pump supposed to pump? When running just off the starting it was doing a drop of fuel(water in this case) every 2 seconds or so. Does this sound right? Im expecting more after I cleaned the pump and will have more compression later.

THAT SOUNDS LOW BUT IT MAY BE BETTER AT RPMS. {SCL} thats sorry caps lock

Should I return the module and get another one?
doubt you can return electronics

cable linkage contraption
That is the governor

I am not up on ezgo clutches
Old 12-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

About the governor. Why is it on the pumpkin? Does it actually do anything mechanical inside of it? or did ezgo just deem this a convenient mount?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It senses the speed and backs off the throttle to
control the speed
Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

going back to the overhaul, without question You should be pulling the low end apart to make *sure* all the debris is gone (You're already almost there with the top end apart anyhow and the extra time will likely save You an engine down the road) ... Also, it's foolish not to do crank seals because they fail. Not "if" but "when". Although You could always save the $12 and just plan on pulling the engine all apart again later, that's YOUR business - Personally, I'd just get it all done at once for the peace of mind and for all the time and headache it'll save you after somewhere between an hour and a year of driving your cart, LOL.

Like Doom said, the governor basically works on the premise that the higher the RPM's, the more it pulls the governor cable that goes to the carb. At a certain point (dependent on adjustment) it will actually pull the throttle closed at the carb (not completely closed, but enough to lower the RPM's into its' range) ... With the 2-strokes, there is a lot of dissent as to whether or not the governor really can save your engine, there are guys who have modded their 2 and 3PG's intake, exhaust, ignition, etc to pull 5k RPM with no changes to the bearings, etc so it would be VERY difficult to blow an engine with stock intake and exhaust (save maybe full throttle down a long steep hill) - or at least that's one theory. Some guys bypass it altogether (run the cable from the pedal straight to the carb) and buy a tach so they can stay at 4KRPM or under, I'm one of those guys, LOL

Lastly, that drive clutch should be able to be compressed by hand relatively easily, the good news is that I have seen older 2-stroke clutches that have broken loose and been fine after a minute or two at speed IE on a running, revving motor. Pulling it apart and giving it a good cleaning, finding out what's sticking, etc isn't a bad idea though, especially considering You're going so far into the engine to remedy the issue with that piston.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
germandude890
Not Yet Wild

^ thats some good info. I think im going to take the time to get it running at least a little and then take it apart further and mess with the clutch and seals. I dont want to buy all these parts now and come to find it was just a waste.

I have a few others things to worry about as well. The brakes are shot i think. i can push the pedal but no wires move so im guessing they are stuck. i bought a new passenger and driver side, this should fix it right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO