lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
rocko
Gone Wild

Default Ezgo Work Horse /Honda TRX250 drive train

I got a couple of EZGO WorkHorse 350ST's , the red one in the pic below runs great and gets used for work and play , the second one was a parts cart , I had a Honda TRX250 Fourtrax engine , shaft driven , 5 forward , reverse and electric start , with the swing arm and rear end and I got a start of sticking it in , just stuck the frame section and motor in to get some measurements --------
What I would like to know is about the front end , the back is going to be jacked up with 25x12x9 ITP's and I would like to put 25X10x10 or maybe 8 inch wide in the front , the front has the drop down axle now and I want to add the Jake's 6 inch drop down spindles , or make my own , how do you get the tie rods and steering bars to work out ??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1106.jpg (230.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1105.jpg (226.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1103.jpg (211.0 KB, 0 views)
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo Work Horse /Honda TRX250 drive train

Might try flipping the hitch receiver over, sit it on top the axle then run the springs on top
of it with longer bolts ( grade 8 ) down through the bottom perches to tie it together.

<

btw, if you go that route you will also need shock extensions, I put em on top, out of sight.

edit: Now that I'm thinking about it (it's been awhile) I also added 1.5" blocks btwn
the rear of the springs and body to keep the tierods from raking the springs.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
my1423
Gone Wild

I am working on a similar mod but i have just started getting parts.
Picked up a 97 arctic cat 454 4wd.
Planning on using the whole quad front end and chucking the crappy cart suspension.
Too much like riding a marshmallow.

I want front brakes and 4wd.
I do not want to change any geometry.

Option 1. Planning on cutting the quad steering shaft off and welding on a sprocket.
Cutting the stock cart pitman arm and welding on a sprocket and hooking up a chain between to the two.

Option 2 is using the stock pitman arm and tie rod shortened down and hooked to a riser in the middle of the quad turning bracket or welded onto the stock shaft higher up.

Have not gotten far enough yet to determine my route yet.

I think i am going to get a different cart since my 85 is in fairly decent shape.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
rocko
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies , I like the hitch flip idea , going to check into that , think it is going to get in the way of the pittman arm , I could see blocks on back the leaves could be helpful

I found a set of Jake's 6 inch drop downs and saved $80 , got them coming , has to be a way to make the steering work out , custom pittman arm , modify the spindles , maybe custom off set steering bars

notice the OEM spindle has a riser arm going up for the steering bar , the Jake's is flat , if they would have made it the same as the OEM on top then it seems like it would have worked out

what's you'll thoughts about hydraulic steering , you could tie the two spindles together with a one piece steering bar with tie rods , mount a cylinder and attach it to steering bar and use the steering from a boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6211.jpg (31.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

No trouble with the clearance on the pitman arm, it goes up when the body
goes up, the dropped spindle idea should be interesting, keep us posted.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
rocko
Gone Wild

jake's 6 inch spindles pic ---------- need a Jake's Ezgo front leveling kit , comes with tie rods wit holes thru the center and extension bushings , I think it is going to work ---- any thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1132.jpg (324.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1131.jpg (299.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

You got the easy part done, now to get it to steer, keep the pictures coming.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:24 AM   #8
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I have the same exact cart and atv waiting to be merged once I finish my current project.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
rocko
Gone Wild

those are 25x8x12 tires , sitting about where they would go , after cleaning up the hub decided to do the wheel bearings and seals , I think thinking the 8 wide will steer better than 10 , but 10's might have better ground pressure , I plan on putting this thing in the mud , started thinking a roll cage , 5 point seat belt and a Bell helmet is a must

plan on putting the leaves on top the axle , years ago I got a Jake's leveling kit to do that off e-bay for like $50 , they want $159 now days for the same kit , will probally be making my own ------------ have you ever seen anyone flip the leaves over so the bow is down instead of up

I know the engine set up will drive 27's , thinking that is where I am going
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1141.jpg (309.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1142.jpg (197.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1139.jpg (319.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Thanks for the pics, I used to put 10s and 10.5s on the front but switched to 8s, like you said they steer better and I think
look better. Never seen springs flipped over, I think your biggest problem is going to be the tierods clearing the springs,
and blocks on the rear of the springs might help that.

With the springs on top you will be riding high, about a 14" lift + the taller tires (without blocks on back)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO