lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Steew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87 seized motor dis-assembly questions

I have 2 carts that are free and new to me. I decided to see why the one carts motor would not even wiggle. So I started ripping it apart. Rust not like a little like a crank case load. I sprayed almost a hole can of pb blaster and did get it free but obviously this crank case needs to come apart. So I got what looks a fly wheel off. I then removed what looks to be some sort of pickup for timing and timing adjustment. no I see what I think is the crank shaft seal. It looks ok to me. So I didnt want to ruin it trying to dig it out with a screw driver. I've loosened the 4 bolts on the other side cant fully remove them because the fly wheel assembly is in the way. but I'm wondering is there any kind of other retainer clips holding the crank case together or should this thing just magically divide in half? Ohh and did I remove that thing I think is a fly wheel the right way with my homemade puller? My cylender looks and feels smooth but my piston looks like it didnt win the war. I removed the rings cleaned out the grooves. I used a very small file and removed the bur that was in the grove for the rings and cleaned the rings with a wire brush. They feel like they fit ok. Do you think I can get away with reusing this piston? I'll attack pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankcase.jpg (240.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg puller.jpg (306.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pistonrash.jpg (97.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg crankshaftseal.jpg (341.1 KB, 0 views)
Steew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 seized motor dis-assembly questions

The ring grooves have alignment pins for the end of the rings. How do they look?

You already removed the flywheel. You should have a clutch on the other side.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Steew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The groves look sexy the rings seem pretty good only thing is the road rash on the piston. I got it all clean with a scotch brite pad. I took a 5 gallon bucket of dawn and water (lots of dawn) and I dropped the whole top of the motor in it and cleaned it down. I've got pretty much the parts all squeaky clean. The piston slides in nice and tight with the rings with a bit of oil. the little alignment marts on the piston in the groves have no damage. It looks and feels like it will have good compression. My issues now seem to be all bottom end. Got a few questions.

The clutch side how do I separate that from the crank shaft so I can press the shaft out of the other side of the crank case? That seal on that side leaks bad I need to change that one for sure.

The bearings in it do they get packed with grease? I'm not sure because I would think it would get washed out from the 2 cycle?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Take the long skinny bolt out of the clutch. Drop a rod in it's place that sits on top of the threads, and then thread a 3/4" fine thread bolt on top of that. An air impact is best to pop it of then.

I did not grease my bearings. I used 2 cycle oil. I have read on here that there is an assembly lube for 2 strokes, but I am not familiar with it.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This manual will work for your 87.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Steew
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ahh you are a saviour. Ty I'm about to leave to drag the new camper out to the new camp site so I'll be back at that motor when I get back in 6 hours.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO